Fatal accident at Oshima last weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm just back from Shikinejima and while we were there I caught the tail end of the local TV news - it seems there was an diving accident and fatality on Oshima this weekend? Does anyone know anymore details?

Very sad to hear about this

Regards
Geoff

I managed to find a brief article about the event.
oshima diving accident msn.jp

It says a new diver, 42 year old male form saitama, may have had a panic attack at 5 meters depth at akinohana. An instructor called 119 and took him to a hospital but to no avail. (assuming I read the japanese correctly)

:sad_2:

Your Japanese reading abilities correct they are.

Geoff, how was the weather in Shikinejima? Some sites on the East Izu peninsula was closed this weekend.

Drowned at 5m, how sad. Must have been in the area directly around the entry point :(

The weather on Shikinejima was fine, however this did not stop the dive shop cancelling all dives on Sunday due to the impending typhoon. We went out and snorkelled on a few beaches and - in my view - the conditions were fine for diving - have been out safely in far worse conditions.

There was no appreciable wind and no rain on Sunday, when we came back on Monday it was overcast and foggy - the hydrofoil was cancelled and we took the slow boat but I sat out on deck for the 10 hours and didn't see any big swells.

In addition to Mushroom's good info, the diving started from 7:45PM as a training course and he claimed a bad condition at that time. The call was placed to 119 at 8:15PM.
An administrative autopsy will take place according to the news.

Most likely to be a night dive speciality course then, I can't think of anything else a newly certified diver would be doing at that time. Will be strange to be diving there in a fortnight after something like this has happened :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom