Farsighted lens question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am a +3.5, both eyes. I feel ya, can’t even see what my computer is saying without correction. have you tried contacts? I have found them to be soooooo much better than prescription goggles. I wear a pair of daily’s and thrown them out after a day of diving.

I too am a +3.5, both eyes. I feel ya, can’t even see what my computer is saying without correction. have you tried contacts? I have found them to be soooooo much better than prescription goggles. I wear a pair of daily’s and thrown them out after a day of diving.
My wife also prefers contacts, and she is nearsighted. Very nearsighted, like -8 in one eye and -9 in the other. She wears single-use -6 contacts. One thing she likes is she can see when she takes her mask off, and use cheap sunglasses on the diveboat.

The air-water lens in the mask also acts as a bit of a lens, with a strength of maybe -0.5 diopter. So if a near-sighted person needs a correction of (say) -3.0, they might be quite happy with mask lenses of -2.5. On the other hand, if they are farsighted and need (say) +4.0, then they might want to get +4.5 to compensate for the mask.
Totally correct, though perhaps should say "...to compensate for the air water lens"

I've tried contacts but find that my contacts are very dry and kind of stuck to my eyes after dives. Before I got prescription lenses in my mask it was great to be able to see the boat!

You all are lucky. I am close to +10 in both eyes. I am getting back into diving after 19 years off and have added bifocals a few years ago with a stronger prescriptio0n since I last dived. I can't read my computer's smallest text (just the current time, no big loss) at all so I am going to try the stick on lens approach since I can't get anything better without much difficulty it seems.

I can see other people and hand signals jsut fine. Its a weird situation but not that difficult to deal with. My eyes actually feel naked with the mask on and no glasses. :)

if they are farsighted and need (say) +4.0, then they might want to get +4.5 to compensate for the mask.
(...) Farsighted folks have to over-correct, so the +4.0 fellow in the example above mat need to bump it up a bit.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is this correct?
Farsighted / presbyopic divers should bump up the prescription?

I remember being taught that objects appear 33% closer UW.

I'm looking into bi-focal lenses, and currently have the following presbyopia:

RIGHT EYE: +1,75
LEFT EYE: +1,50

I'm wondering wheher I should get +2 and +1.5 or +2 for both eyes (most + lenses found are in + 0.5 increments.

Thanks!

I use almost the same prescription in my mask that I use in my glasses and it is just fine for me. In the mask,+3 in one eye, +3.5 in the other. My glasses are +3.25 in one, +3.5 in the other.

I am over +9.5 in each eye. The prescription works in the mask but I know my eyes are hard to see. I go back and forth between prescription and non-prescription masks depending on what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom