Far-Sightedness Corrective Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PanamaMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How important is it to correct far-sightedness underwater? I would have assumed one should use the same prescription on land since the mask is flat. But I've also heard it said to use 1 diopter less correction in a mask than on land. Does anyone know the real answer?

My wife and I both have prescription masks from Seavision.

They will take your prescription and adapt it for underwater.

Don't know about their prescription masks but I bought one of their masks (Seavision) with gauge readers in them and am very happy with the mask.

Don't know about their prescription masks but I bought one of their masks (Seavision) with gauge readers in them and am very happy with the mask.

I started with gage readers until my eyesight got so bad that I was looking through them for distance, then I got my progressive script done, which takes care of everything.

How important is it to correct far-sightedness underwater? I would have assumed one should use the same prescription on land since the mask is flat. But I've also heard it said to use 1 diopter less correction in a mask than on land. Does anyone know the real answer?

The answer is it depends. If your Rx is not very strong then you may not need Rx lenses. If your Rx is strong but not very out of the ordinary you can often get by with std. Rx lenses that are generic to the mask. Beyond that is when you look at custom Rx lenses. That was my progression I now have bifocal lenses in my mask.

Thank-you all for your thoughtful advice. Those sights are certainly the responsible way to go.
I had been using +2 diopter hydrotac from Wallgreens(a $10 solution at the time) to read my gauges but I just couldn't see 20 feet to 30 feet very well.
I've now ended up going with a single prescription mask from getwetstore.com for $75. That comparatively cheap solution turns out to work for me. Amazing, really. I can see from arms length to infinity. I might still add the +1 diopter hydrotacs I still have to be certain to be able to clearly read gauges but I doubt that that isn't really necessary in light of the size my dive computer's screen. The hydrotacs will still stick to the slight curve of the single vision corrective lens.
Thanks again,
--Mike

Thank-you all for your thoughtful advice. Those sights are certainly the responsible way to go.
I had been using +2 diopter hydrotac from Wallgreens(a $10 solution at the time) to read my gauges but I just couldn't see 20 feet to 30 feet very well.
I've now ended up going with a single prescription mask from getwetstore.com for $75. That comparatively cheap solution turns out to work for me. Amazing, really. I can see from arms length to infinity. I might still add the +1 diopter hydrotacs I still have to be certain to be able to clearly read gauges but I doubt that that isn't really necessary in light of the size my dive computer's screen. The hydrotacs will still stick to the slight curve of the single vision corrective lens.
Thanks again,
--Mike

Glad you found an affordable immediate solution!

My only caution is that as you (and your eyes) age, you will need to be on the lookout for more elaborate ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom