Fantasy Island Trip 11-7 to 11-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1st timers to FI so we were a bit apprehensive based upon some of the trip advisor and scubaboard reviews. We could not pass up the price but after this trip feel this was the best value dive trip we have ever taken. Stuff we liked: Easy to get to with no puddle jumper flight needed. Nice casual daily schedule so we did not have to rush. Dive sites 10-40 min away. Only 12 divers in our boat (not into the MOO experience). Boat had shade with overhead netting to keep stuff dry. This came in handly for the day it rained. Towels and fruit on board. Captain and DM were conscientious and helpful. Great wall diving and decent vis with lots of soft corals on the flats with calm seas on this south side. Decent shore diving makes it easy to do more than the std 3 dives per day. Drop offs and night diving allowed for 5 dives per day if you wanted. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was fine (in new wing). Food was better than we expected with good variety and quality considering it is buffet style. If you can't find something to eat with the variety available you have 5 star requirements and should go elsewhere. Drinks, beer, and soda included. WIFI and free computer available in big casual area. Beautiful views from room balcony, dining, pool, and bar areas. Convenient drying room for your gear. Showers on the dock.
Stuff we did not like or areas of improvement: All of this stuff is pretty minor to us and will not stop us from return trips. Jacuzzi, WIFI in rooms, less salt in some dishes, better deserts (ice cream was great). More comprehensive dive briefings. Roatan is overfished. Dive site moorings missing requiring drift diving which means you have to follow the DM. Water pressure and temp marginal during high usage times. Yeah, there are bugs but if you stay out of the jungle and use cactus juice and deet you will be ok. Some people get bit while others don't.
To wrap this up, if you are into quality diving at a decent price with 3 dives/day at an all inclusive resort, you will be hard pressed to do better.

Yup, that sums up my impression of it also!:coffee:

1st timers to FI so we were a bit apprehensive based upon some of the trip advisor and scubaboard reviews. We could not pass up the price but after this trip feel this was the best value dive trip we have ever taken. Stuff we liked: Easy to get to with no puddle jumper flight needed. Nice casual daily schedule so we did not have to rush. Dive sites 10-40 min away. Only 12 divers in our boat (not into the MOO experience). Boat had shade with overhead netting to keep stuff dry. This came in handly for the day it rained. Towels and fruit on board. Captain and DM were conscientious and helpful. Great wall diving and decent vis with lots of soft corals on the flats with calm seas on this south side. Decent shore diving makes it easy to do more than the std 3 dives per day. Drop offs and night diving allowed for 5 dives per day if you wanted. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was fine (in new wing). Food was better than we expected with good variety and quality considering it is buffet style. If you can't find something to eat with the variety available you have 5 star requirements and should go elsewhere. Drinks, beer, and soda included. WIFI and free computer available in big casual area. Beautiful views from room balcony, dining, pool, and bar areas. Convenient drying room for your gear. Showers on the dock.
Stuff we did not like or areas of improvement: All of this stuff is pretty minor to us and will not stop us from return trips. Jacuzzi, WIFI in rooms, less salt in some dishes, better deserts (ice cream was great). More comprehensive dive briefings. Roatan is overfished. Dive site moorings missing requiring drift diving which means you have to follow the DM. Water pressure and temp marginal during high usage times. Yeah, there are bugs but if you stay out of the jungle and use cactus juice and deet you will be ok. Some people get bit while others don't.
To wrap this up, if you are into quality diving at a decent price with 3 dives/day at an all inclusive resort, you will be hard pressed to do better.

I am headed there in Janurary and am happy to hear that thanks for the report!

ronski101:
You have our juices flowing again with that trip report. We were there in October and had the same experience, and now we cannot wait to get back.
We love Roatan and the diving that it offers. Kind of like that song in the musical South Pacific but instead of Bali Hi calling it's Fantasy Island is calliing us back.

Thank you for your report. We are heading down there on Dec. 5th. We are not 5 star people and we usually stay at Cocoview but the price was too good. I have been looking over at Fantasy Inland for 6 years now just wondering if it was much different. Like I said we love Cocoview but making our 4th trip of the year makes us look at value.:D

Thanks for the report. We're heading down to Roatan for the first time in March and really looking forward to it (though we're staying at CCV).

My husband and I were with ronski101 and his wife and we concur with everything he said. Everything he said is right on, and all four of us have been to many, many resorts over the years.

We were there with Ron and we also had a great time. I would say the value of this trip was the best I have ever had. We went for the 2 for 1 special so the cost was extremely low for what you got. All the food and drinks you wanted, 3-5 dives per day. I never made it five but you could have if you were so inclined.:popcorn:

I emailed Ron a link to my pictures because I don't have enough post to add links.

Rodney

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom