Fantasea or Nauticam for a6500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hankypank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys,

So I've just grabbed a sony 6500 and I'm looking to get either the fantasea to save some money or fork out for the Nauticam.
I'm pretty impressed with the Fantasea housing writeups so far as it has the 67mm port compatibility as well as has great reviews for incorporating the UWL 09 wide angle lens and a macro wet lens with the 16-50 kit lens. So I'm hoping to start off using the UWL 09 and the UCL 06 with the short port and then slowly upgrade to the 10-18 lens with the dome port and so on and so on. I've already got two YS-01s waiting for the new housings.

So I'm wondering how reliable the fantasea line is for quality because the Nauticam housing and ports equate to about 2-3 grand more for sourcing the gear including ports and tray ++ in Aus.

I cant find one neg review for fantasea housings online, and although anyone will say if you can afford the money, then go nauticam, I cant really yet so I'm hoping there is no horror stories to clear me away from the fantasea line. If the housing holds up for me to play around with the wet lenses and slowly upgrade lenses and ports ( say 5 years) then I will be happy.

Also wanting some user experience for the leak detection in the fantasea line as I know how well the vacuum seal works for nauticam via mates experiences. I've never experienced a catastrophic leak in my previous housings, let alone having a leak detection sensor before.

I also read that nauticam were incorporating insurance for camera bodies with their housings which sounds really good.

Cheers in advance

About a year ago, I upgraded my camera system to a Sony A6000 in a Nauticam housing with the optional vacuum seal. I have no regrets. The system has been flawless and the vacuum system is worth the extra expense. I have 2 lens ports for it. One for the 16-50 "kit lens" and one for the Sony 10-18 f4 OSS lens.

If I was to do it today, however, I would probably go for the A6500 and a Fantasea housing (with the Nauticam M16 Vacuum valve). I would do this based largely on a review from Mozaik Underwater. I bought my housing, ports and strobes through Mozaik and when I ran into problems with one of my strobes their customer service was simply amazing. They are not looking for a quick "one and done" sale, they are looking to build a long term business relationship. If they give something a glowing review, then I would tend to trust it based on the fact that I trust them.

Keep in mind, that when you buy a housing, you are not just buying a housing, you are committing to a system. Look at the availability and the cost of accessories such as the ports. Can you get a port to support the lenses that you currently have (or that you plan on getting)? I think that the Fantasea supports most of the common lenses that people would tend to use underwater.

To be honest, if you are choosing between Nauticam and Fantasea housings for the A6500, then I think you will be happy with whichever one you ultimately decide.

While you can certainly add the Nauticam vacuum valve to any housing with a 16 mm port, it is not at all clear that you can mount the Nauticam vacuum detector and electronics in the Fantasea housing. Maybe Mozaik can do it for you but I am guessing that they would more likely put in one of the other vacuum systems.

Bill

We sell both.

I think Fanatasea has done a very nice job with their a6500 housing system for the price. But it is still a plastic housing, controls and more importantly, ports, are not as good, or as extensive. They do cover the basics.

The Leak Sentinel V5 system is a self-contained vacuum pressure check that can be added to ALL housings. It is used by OEM manufacturers such as S&S and Subal. The device has many different adapter/mounts available and it works fine in the Fantasea. The complete check system with a manual pump is around $280 or so. An electric pump is also available.

That being said, by the time you get a tray, handles, etc., add the pressure check valve, you are around $500 or so less than the Nauticam. The Nauticam NA-6500 has a huge selection of ports and it is a much more extendable system; with viewfinders, monitors, etc also available. And you don't have nearly the feature-set; external trigger, moving bayonet port lock, aluminum housing rated to 300', built-in leak detection system, more ergonomic controls, etc.

When we've presented both options to customers, they generally pick the Nauticam.

Last edited:
The old cliche “You get what you pay for” applies here. Nauticam is the way to go. Housings are well designed, durable metal construction and proven quality with emphasis in allowing user to control relevant camera features and functions.
Hope this helps with your decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom