Fantasea Housing Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buano

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just had a Fantasea FD80 housing flood on it's second dive & ruin my Nikon D80. Immediately afterwards I learned of several more Fantasea housing failures. Were these fluke failures or are these housings unreliable? Anyone have feedback, good or bad, on Fantasea housings?

Thanks!
Ron

I agree with alcina. Poor loading and o-ring maintenance by the users are the problem in almost all cases. I'm very anal about loading and o-ring cleaning and have not had a problem but all it takes is that one time when you are in a rush and leave a hair or something on the o-ring to flood your housing. There is flood insurance though.

It is the nature of the business. If you do enough diving, something will flood. I've had it happen with cameras, housings and a strobe. Don't fantasea housings come with insurance?

This is a reply about Fantasea DSLR housings from this thread. T
I just did 19 dives on my FD80 in Bonaire in a row last month. I've used it pretty extensively in cold water in harsh conditions for a year as well. Unlike some mail order places, I actually dive what I sell. I've had one bad strobe bulkhead and a couple very minor control issues.

Yes, the FD70 was one of their first housings and was replaced by the FD70N. Is there really a problem with upgrading an existing product? As new ideas and parts become available? Ever buy a car? No, I would not buy a FD70, simply because the port diameter size is no longer really supported, it did not have zoom, etc. They improved the model is all.

The FD70N has been pretty popular, but it too is nearing the end of it's production run, as is the FD50N. Here's a link to some pics a customer recently took: Bahamas. Pretty nice, no strobe even.

Like all manufacturers, they've had production problems. Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Aquatica have had them too. Fantasea has always included flood insurance on the camera body though.

Now, here's some surprising news perhaps; Fantasea pulled off the shelves all existing FD80s and FD400 housings earlier this year. In fact, gave refunds to a couple of my customers. They were not happy with the overall production run they had. Some dealers are deliberately ignoring the company's directive and are continuing to sell them. Don't buy one. Yep, you heard me, a dealer, say that. I haven't sold one since November - even though I continue to get great results with mine.

The FD40x for D40, D40x and D60 is fine, and a great housing for it's price level.

Fantasea is redesigning from the ground up their DSLR housings and having a different factory produce them. Obviously this was a very, very expensive decision for all concerned. I think it goes a long way to showing their commitment to bringing a lower-cost, but good quality, product to the market. I expect to dive one of the prototypes and have some input. I'd say that their new housings won't reach the market until sometime this summer, but that's a total guess. I do know that they will be a serious upgrade.

Jack

Ron;

I'm very sorry to hear of the problems you had. Contact janice@fantasea.com for service and help in filing your included flood insuarnce of the camera body (the lens is not covered). Go to Fantasea.com and look under customer support for more info.

This is paraphrased from a reply about Fantasea DSLR housings from this thread. There are some other comments from another user there, etc. Here's some straight info:

I just did 19 dives on my FD80 in Bonaire in a row last month. I've used it pretty extensively in cold water in harsh conditions for a year as well probably with about 80+ dives on it. I dove a prototype unit and offered suggestions for the final production before that. Unlike some mail order places, I actually dive what I sell. I've had one bad strobe bulkhead and a couple very minor control issues, yes very small weeping leaks, a couple of drops of water sort of thing. Those controls and bulkhead were easily replaced. The kind of failure that you had may well of been due to a port oring problem. There are two orings and the outer one can be pinched when tightening the port.

Like all manufacturers, they've had production problems. Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Aquatica have had them too. Fantasea has always included flood insurance on the camera body though.

Now, here's some surprising news perhaps; Fantasea pulled off the shelves all existing FD80s and FD400 housings earlier this year (as of January). In fact, gave refunds to a couple of my customers. They were not happy with the overall production run they had. Some dealers are deliberately ignoring the company's directive (and I think taking advantage of the shortage) and were/are continuing to sell them. Don't buy one. Yep, you heard me, a dealer, say that. I haven't sold one since November - even though I continue to get great results with mine.

The FD40x for D40, D40x and D60 is fine, and a great housing for it's price level.

Fantasea is redesigning from the ground up their DSLR housings and having a different factory produce them. Obviously this was a very, very expensive decision for all concerned. I think it goes a long way to showing their commitment to bringing a lower-cost, but good quality, product to the market. I expect to dive one of the prototypes and have some input. I'd say that their new housings won't reach the market until sometime this summer, but that's a total guess. I do know that they will be a serious upgrade.

When did you buy your housing? If recently, I think personally you have some grounds on going back to the dealer for some mitigation. There was a service bulletin sent out early on.

Note that the views above are my own opinions and not Fantasea Lines, etc.

Jack

It is through DEPP for replacement. And it is on all their housings; P&S and DSLR, limited to $1,000 and on the body only for one year from purchase. In addition there is a one year warrnty on the products.

Nobody else offers this kind of coverage.

Jack

Hi all,

After reading this thread, I would like to respond to a few points raised here.

Regarding the flood concern, please note that Fantasea is the only company that offers a free one-year D.E.P.P flood insurance policy, included in the purchase price of all Fantasea housings. Therefore, on the very unlikely event of flooding the housing, the camera inside is insured. For further information regarding this flood insurance program, please see on our website- Product Registration, Warranty & Insurance

In addition, all Fantasea housings are intensively tested by our test divers prior to being released to the market, and each housing released to the market is also tested twice in a pressure chamber prior to leaving the factory. These comprehensive tests our housings go through ensure a perfect watertight seal of the housing, as well as comfortable handling, accurate positioning of control buttons and durability. For this reason, as mentioned on one of the responses above, when a housing floods it is usually due to human error rather than due to product failure, and this can only be determined by sending to a service center for testing in a pressure chamber.

I would also like to point out that Fantasea has recently released a new generation of both compact and DSLR Housings in the past year. This new generation features a compact design and improved construction, which ensures easy handling through critical placement of push-button controls. These housings are all sturdy, made of durable injection molded Polycarbonate, and consist of double O-ring seals on all controls, as well as an improved main O-ring seal. As with previous Fantasea housings, they also include a free D.E.P.P Flood Insurance Program.

Ron, we would be happy to assist with solving the problem you had encountered with your housing. We can help you with further investigating the problem and finding out if the housing leaked due to a product error or due to a human error. We also believe that there is always a place for improvement, and therefore we would greatly appreciate your input.

You are all invited to contact us at info@fantasea.com with questions regarding our products, compatibility issues and suggestions.

Thank you and have a nice weekend,

Sharon Rainis
Fantasea Line Technical Support Manager

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom