Family snorkeling trip and beach vacation - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking for a reasonable place to take the family where they can do some snorkeling but also do other beach/family activities. I thought about the Keys at first (from snorkeling standpoint) but not sure how much other stuff there is for kids. Also thought about Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced place to go?

Thanks,
Dave

snorkeling... Florida
Keys is good but not alot of "beach" activities as there isn't much beach. Ft Lauderdale/Palm beach might be good beach activities but not good snorkeling as reefs are deeper, water isn't as clear, and more boat traffic.
A few places to check out:
Visit One of the "Top Ten" Scuba and Snorkel Dive Locations, Sunny Sourth Florida, with South Florida Diving Headquarters
Pirate Island Divers

a bit more expensive but more of both snorkeling and activities:
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate

maybe the best idea for a trip out of country:
Cozumel or Playa del Carmen, Mexico
cozumel:
Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures
Hotel Cozumel & Resort Cozumel, Mexico Scuba Diving Packages without Meals
(the rates are for divers, check the discount for non-divers)

Playa: Geofish Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & PADI Instruction in Playa del Carmen & Cozumel, Mexico

Other places like Grand Cayman would be good but much more expensive. Ditto Bahamas.

robin:D

I took my family to the Keys. It was ok...loved the dining and it was a different kind of adventure but if I could recommend Anguilla. Not sure what reasonable means but you can do it cheap if you cook in 2 meals and eat out at the BBQ's and cheap eats. You can rent a nice little house and a cheap car and be happy. The beaches are surreal and the snorkeling pretty darn good. Check out my blog My Anguilla Bliss

DR not a snorkeling spot nor really is PR unless you go to Bio Bay. I am not a fan of the Bahamas. Bonaire has great snorkeling but not many beaches...

Bonaire would definitely be the best snorkeling, but airfare there is $$. There is an overnight direct flight on Continental through Houston on Friday nights only, arriving in the am which is usually the cheapest way to get there. :D If they don't think the airfare is too pricey, then I would consider going there.
check out:
http://www.edenbeach.com/
Wannadive Bonaire - shoredive, boatdive, rental, a - Welcome @ Wannadive
http://www.bonairewebcams.com/TheWorks.php

robin:D

Atlantis in the Bahamas...fabulous waterslides and aquarium as well. Royal Seaquarium in Curacao is fantastic for kids. They are allowed to 'help train' the dolphins, feed the sharks, etc. They also do the bubblemaker course in the lagoon (not the pool) and are allowed to do shallow dives on the reef outside the lagoon after completing the course as well as the dolphin dive. Hans, the owner of the dive shop there, was just great. Dear daughter says it was her favorite vacation ever.

Back
Top Bottom