Family questions - some divers and snorklers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolsarinah

Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a place that is good for families where some are too young to dive but love to snorkle. The goal is to find good beach snorkling.

Thanks

Carol

Bonaire is excellent for snorkeling (and diving, of course). We were there in Dec. with our 6 and 11 yr. old and they had a great time snorkeling. They spent a lot of time at Donkey Beach, which has sand to play in and snorkeling just a few steps away.

I'd throw Curacao in as well. Excellent diving and some of the best snorkeling in the world

Curacao and Bonaire would be my choices as well. As much as I love Bonaire, IMO Curacao has the better beaches for family outing type activities.

The Plaza Resort on Bonaire has a really nice beach with excellent snorkeling right in front of the resort. It's a also a good, larger resort and is easy walking distance to Richard's and Ye Olde Inn restaurants. The walk into town is an easy 15-20 minutes, with a large selection of excellent places to eat out. I've stayed at the Plaza twice now and have always enjoyed it.

I recently came back from a stay at Sunset Waters in Curacao. It also had a beach, although not as nice as the Plaza's, and pretty decent snorkeling right in their lagoon. It's a small place with not much going on in the way of activities, other than the diving and snorkeling, and it is a 30 minute drive from town. Still, it was a wonderful place to relax and dive for a week.

DIVI Resort in St Croix USVI. It is closer and in the United States.

I'd recommend St. John, USVI. For example, there is a great snorkel spot called Waterlemon Caye. In spots the water is only inches deep and is a teeming fish nursery. In water less than 3 feet deep we saw lots of parrots, butterflys, and other tropicals. A little deeper than that, we saw turtles, stingrays, and a large permit. St. John also has solid diving, gorgeous beaches, and is a lush and beautiful island. Lots of vacation rental options; check out: www.vrbo.com. Cheers!

There's a good beach snorkel site at St Thomas. Of course, there's always the Florida Keys which should have something for all ages as well as non-divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom