Family dive trip in June/July...need advice on locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quinranda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are a family of four (2 adults, 16, 13) all certified divers, all AOW except 13 yr old daughter. We finally have enough miles for all of us to fly to South East Asia!! But the question is, where do we go? We would like to combine a week of excellent diving with a week or more of land-based activities. Have looked into Thailand, but seems like the wrong season for the best diving? Have looked into easy-to-reach places in Indonesia like Bali and Gili Islands. Can't tell if diving is worth it? Looked into more remote places like Sipadan and Bunaken in Malaysia. Might be difficult/expensive...would hate to go all the way to Sipadan for 1 day of great diving?

If we're traveling that far, I really want excellent diving, but don't want it to be too difficult to reach or overly expensive. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and for reference,we have been diving in Mexico, Cayman, Belize, Roatan, etc... Thanks for your help.

I think Bali is a good choice for you and your family. There's some really good diving on the island that's not too hard, and the non-diving aspects are wonderful. You could spend the whole week at Tulamben, for example, or part of the week at Amed or Padang Bai, a bit south of Tulamben and then finish off at Tulamben, or vice versa (though I think Tulamben is so nice that afterwards the rest can be a bit of a letdown). Or you could go up to Pemuteran for a few days and then head over to Tulamben for a few more, and finally go south.

[Note: While it's a good time of year to go to Lembongan and Komodo, I wouldn't recommend these places for young divers since the dives can be quite challenging with fast currents.]

Spend couple of days in Manila and visit Corregidor island, Intramurus or even the American Cemetery.
Anilao is only 3hrs from Manila and is a macro heaven. Current is always managable because of the location. Good vis. Taal volcanoe is not too far either.
And if you want more diving then Puerto Galera is just across the channel.
Subic Bay alos offer wreck diving as well as top attraction.
Typhoon seldom strike that part of the country.

Thanks for the info so far! I've spent much of the day looking at Bali. Visited years ago, but never went diving there. Quero, do you think the Gili's off Lombok are worth a look too (or a combination of both places)? I appreciate your honesty about currents/young divers. The last thing I want is to book a place that's too challenging!!!

Centrals, haven't looked into the Philippines yet, but will do so.

bali has some great diving and some areas would be free of heavy currents...bali is also great for having fun on other adventures....
philippines i think is a bit heavily polluted and not that "family"orientated....i have dived and lived in alot of the philippines and indonesia,...i would recommend bali...one can find easy comfort-ability there....
also,would recommend amed/tulamben area....

I would also recommend Bali as well, although and since I have spent a week in august diving with local dive centers on Lembongan, I will have a very different opinion than others who might have been diving Nusa Penida with Mainland Bali operations.
I admit I have changed my mind on this after diving from Lembongan, and not from Sanur!

You shouldn't be put off with currents in Lembongan diving with a good local divecenter like WorldDiving or TwoFish (amongst others, these are the 2 i have actually been diving with). THey know the places, they know the currents and they do know if and when their guests will be able to dive the conditions. I have seen young divers learning and getting certified in Nusa Lembongan, there are spots for so.
Crystal Bay or Blue Corner are not the only dive spots in Nusa Penida. Northern spots which will be less dangerous, more manageable with currents, some places like Manta bay is even a snorkeling spot with guaranteed mantas.. I think it would be worth going a few days in order to dive the best dive sites in Bali along with Tulamben area. If you want EXCELLENT diving these are the two places... Don't talk to me about Pemuteran/Menjangan, where you'd be hard pressed to find fish.

Nusa Lembongan is a very pleasant car free (or almost) island, where you can combine diving, surfing with good beaches, and this is not really something you can find elsewhere in Bali. I think it would be a shame if you'd skip NUsa Penida for the wrong reasons.

I'd go for Bali too... You can enjoy the diving and the land-based activities there. You can also move around the island a little too. A week here, a week there etc. Check out Big Fish for diving in the south...

Quero, do you think the Gili's off Lombok are worth a look too (or a combination of both places)? I appreciate your honesty about currents/young divers. The last thing I want is to book a place that's too challenging!!!
The Gilis is a pleasant group of islands, and might be fun for your teens (though be warned that the Gilis is known as a place where drug use is open and easy). Gili Air is probably better for a family than Gili Trawangan in the sense that Gili T is more of a beach party island than Gili A is. There are also quite a few distinctly strong-current dive sites at the Gilis as well, so if you go there, make sure the dive op knows you don't want current dives.

We book Two Fish Divers in Lembeh, Bunaken and Bali. Also YOS Dive in Komodo, Lembeh, Bunaken, and Bail. Resort packages with diving are reasonable, diving is superb, land tours are available. Both Lembeh and Bunaken are easy access from Manado.

Facebook Liquid Diving Adventures | Facebook

quiranda,
I do agree with others that bali is the best destination for your family if you want to combine underwater and topsite activities.
We are family of four too, with 2 daughters 13 and 17 years old - all are divers and l love taking pics - so, strong current is not our preference.
The most important thing is to talk with the DC what you want, including the max. depth for the Jr. OW. verylikely you you will get one dedicated dive guide for your family. If not busy, it is possible you get 2 dive guides at no extra cost.
this what my younger daughter said about her trips scuba diving, Melati D. Tulamben - Bali, 2011 you'll find her reports for other locations as well. Note - Quero is responsible to make her diving addicted.:D
you can also click the other link below my signature for her sister blog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom