False Sense of Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, I have no false sense of security. Many of you know I have not seen a shark yet in over 700 dives in quite varied locales--and hope never to.

That's also a false security - or?
Saying nothing about how many sharks might have had an awareness with any of their senses of you.

I agree with those who list a divemaster or dive guide as sometimes providing a false sense of security. If you are concerned the dive would be too much for you without the DM, you probably shouldn't be doing it with the DM.

- The whole buddy thing has me worried... but it is one of the few things I can address.

- Follow the leader dives are scary when they lead to sort of buddy pairs even being less of a functional buddy pair... and they observably do... Adressable by avoidi g them ... until the rest of the family wants to go diving, feeling entirely secure that way... I don't want to ruin it for them, but feel just the opposite... I certainly feel their sense of security is false.

- My wife wanting to be the diver that I take care off and thus not really needing to be responsible for some aspects of safe diving... in her argumentation... has me in a real state of worry ... about that and about how to change it w/o undoing diving for her in the process. How can anybody feel it's good enough and safe to leave e.g. controlling the ascent rate to the buddy... Real scary...

- Is the boat (dive boat, ferry, ...) safe? Is the captain? Is all the good emergency stuff functional indeed? Is there actually a life raft in that barrel on the top deck or is that the fold open bar for while all divers are underwater? How far away is the nearest fire extinguisher (filled, checked, not expired)? Is there truly a life vest for each person on board and a way to get them to each person in case... Is the crew really well trained to respond if ... etc... We assume all that is the case. We may even be told so... It obviously is not so everywhere / all the time. We like to assume it is because the alternative is ... well, unpleasantly bad...

Anyone remember those bangsticks?? I felt secure knowing I have never killed a marine predator with one.!!!!!! Then I realized that I was the intruder not the marine life. I am a land mammal.

I fired a 357 magnum thru the bangstick once on an old tire I found underwater. The shock wave almost took my mask out. The fish around me were not pleased.

When I get an instabuddy who is a relatively new diver, I try to simulate air sharing prior to the dive. I can tell that the person thinks I'm nuts and wasting their time. On multiple occaisons, I've had to reattach their tanks to the BC, recover an underwater fin and so on so forth. Also have noticed that the pretty ones (opposite sex) are never without a buddy.:(

. . .

- Is the boat (dive boat, ferry, ...) safe? Is the captain? Is all the good emergency stuff functional indeed? Is there actually a life raft in that barrel on the top deck or is that the fold open bar for while all divers are underwater? How far away is the nearest fire extinguisher (filled, checked, not expired)? Is there truly a life vest for each person on board and a way to get them to each person in case... Is the crew really well trained to respond if ... etc... We assume all that is the case. We may even be told so... It obviously is not so everywhere / all the time. We like to assume it is because the alternative is ... well, unpleasantly bad...

In the US, I believe it is reasonable to rely on the fact that the vessels are Coast Guard inspected, and skippers are serious about not losing their licenses. The whole point of government regulation is to attempt to give some assurance to consumers about things they can't be expected to know to look for. Now, if we're talking, say, Indonesia, I just assume the worst. No false sense of security there.

Anyone remember those bangsticks?? I felt secure knowing I have never killed a marine predator with one.!!!!!! Then I realized that I was the intruder not the marine life. I am a land mammal.

I fired a 357 magnum thru the bangstick one on an old tire. The shock wave almost took my mask out.
LOL ah yes they were the must-have accessory back in the day... along with a massive dive knife strapped to your leg :D
In Australia they were made by Sea Hornet, mostly 12g shotgun shells filled with 00 Buckshot, occasionally .303 British... needed to seal the primer and crimped end with wax or shellac or water ingress was rapid at depth. Yep quite a pop when they went off underwater!
Early versions had a safety pin that needed to be pulled out before it would fire, later ones had a clever hydraulic actuator that would only work underwater.
After the 1996 gun legislation changed they were classified as firearms and most were handed in or destroyed.

Land! Land gives people a false sense of security. The last time I was at BHB around nightfall there was some ghetto stuff going down. I felt better when I was safe underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom