Falkland Islands Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACT651755

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody ever dived from the Falkland Islands? I'm going to be spending four months there from November '10-March '11 and I've been told to take my gear. It doesn't strike me as somewhere I'd normally take a diving holiday but as I'll be there it seems like I'd be missing out on a rare location.

Anybody know what kind of marine life there is to see out there? A friend said he saw a (big) shark as he was flying off the coast but he's not too knowledgeable about them so couldn't identify it.

The thought has also occurred to me that there must be at least a few wrecks to dive from the Falklands War 1982. The Belgrano?

What kind of insulation will I need? I'll be there over the summer months so hopefully a 5mm will suffice (it's all I have), perhaps with a thermocline vest underneath.

Any information would be well received as I've not really heard anything.

I made one abortive attempt in the last century.

Have at it: Falklands Underwater

Not much other competition of which I am aware.

I've never been, but I can tell you that the Falklands are down off Tierra del Fuego, and that's subantarctic. Think along the lines of diving off newfoundland. I can't imagine average summer air temps being over 60 F, and the water I'm betting might warm up into the mid 40's in summer near the surface. More what I'd call drysuit time. Your 5mm should work out great if you want to surfing there though.

However if you do get a drysuit and bring gear, I'll bet the diving will be truely rewarding. I'll bet the water's pretty clear and I've heard that there's plenty of marine life diversity, especially invertebrates. I also remember reading or hearing something spectacular about the kelp forests there, but it was so long ago I don't remember the details.

The Belgrano was sunk a few hundred miles south of the Falklands. A bit difficult to get there, not to mention the depth at which the wreck must be resting.

Has anybody ever dived from the Falkland Islands? I'm going to be spending four months there from November '10-March '11 and I've been told to take my gear. It doesn't strike me as somewhere I'd normally take a diving holiday but as I'll be there it seems like I'd be missing out on a rare location.

Anybody know what kind of marine life there is to see out there? A friend said he saw a (big) shark as he was flying off the coast but he's not too knowledgeable about them so couldn't identify it.

The thought has also occurred to me that there must be at least a few wrecks to dive from the Falklands War 1982. The Belgrano?

What kind of insulation will I need? I'll be there over the summer months so hopefully a 5mm will suffice (it's all I have), perhaps with a thermocline vest underneath.

There is a report about an expedition (i.e. BSAC for dive trip) undertaken in February 2008 on this link - Expeditions | Simon Campbell ?

You should read Tony Grooms book called DIVER. Or at least take it with you. He was part of the Navy bomb and mine disposal divers down there during the war. Look at his reviews.
Diver: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Groom: Books

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom