Fakarava South vs North in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Nicholas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I've got a ticket booked to French Polynesia on September 2nd, I plan on departing on either the 14th or 21st.

I'm Open Water diver, with an SSI Adventure dive, and SSI Night dive, with 54 dives.

My budget and time only allows me to dive either North or South Fakarava so.
Personally which is better and why?
What kind of creatures am I likely to find on each?
Which area has the most beautiful corals?
What would you recommend? for someone who has dived the Komodo islands, Bunaken, Derawan, Guadalcanal wrecks, Coolidge wreck, Volivoli fiji, Beqa Lagoon Fiji, GBR, and the Yongala wreck (diving it tomorrow actually).

Thanks

Nicholas

FYI- FP goes by CMAS, the French Cert agency and they are pretty strict there. They definitely limit divers by cert level: OW diver is limited to 18m, AOW 30m. Do you have a deepwater cert? Are you planning on spending the entire time on Fakarava?

FYI- FP goes by CMAS, the French Cert agency and they are pretty strict there. They definitely limit divers by cert level: OW diver is limited to 18m, AOW 30m. Do you have a deepwater cert? Are you planning on spending the entire time on Fakarava?
Hello,

Yes I've got the SSI Deep certification, I've also contacted a couple of places and they haven't mentioned this issue, also from what I've read some of the sites are OK for OW.

I
Sorry forgot to mention that I'll, also be going to Rangiroa.

They are both amazing! South is more compact with more sharks per cubic meter :-D ... and you will have to live on the pass which is also great for snorkeling... however in the North there are more dive sites and operators... if you can do both! If you can't do both I say south because of the place you will be staying Tetamanu village is amazing... but expensive! Sometimes some dive companies in the North organize a one day trip to the South, you can check with them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom