Faber Steel 139

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I have figured out I am an Air Hog. I have been online looking at the Faber 100, 120, 139 tanks. Is it worth the money to go with a 139 or should I just go with a 100?? I did dive a 100 in Pompano and I had plenty of air and stayed down as long as everyone else diving 80s. An 80 just does not work for me. I figure go big, if I am going to spend the money.

.....I am an Air Hog......

Hold my beer.........

So it really depends on how you dive and what activities you are doing when diving. I dive a Faber LP121 and when filled with a smile, I can fit 2 AL80's inside of it. I'm a commercial lobster hunter and I need to cover as much realestate as possible before hitting deco so I'm kicking as hard as I can for 40 minutes and burning thru air like crazy. But when bug season closes and I'm just spearing, I only use half my tank because I need to be quieter and more relaxed to sneek up on fish. The LP121's are very big and very heavy on land. Almost NO boat seats can fit them so I have to bring my own bungies. But they are Very Very effective for what I need to do underwater.

1st determine just how many total cubic feet you need to do your average dive and then look for an LP tank that you don't mind lifting or an HP tank if you want it lighter on land. Just remember that we don't breathe PSI,,,,we breathe cubic feet.

A new diver is usually an air hog and improves over time. If a 100 works out for you now, then it will work quite well later on as your consumption improves. If you have no problems handling a larger tank, then more air never hurt anyone.

Well, as @Johnoly points out, we all can be air hogs if we apply ourselves. I've got a couple of Faber MP 120's for just such occasions.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom