Faber HP Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anybody tell me if a Faber HP 100 tank that shows the max pressure of 3150 is 100 cubic inches of air or does it have to have the plus of 10% to get 100ci. I thought only the LP tanks were able to get the plus rating. I thought the HP Fabers at 3150 were 100 and no plus was needed to get the 100. If not, than the Faber HP 100 at 3150 isn't really a 100 tank. It is about 90. Is this right. My local dive shop just got some and there is some confusion on the presseure and rating. The tanks do show the + sign and are painted white. Any comments would be appreciated. I know with PSt tanks so hard to get are theses a good alternative. Also the valves have a max pressure wriitten on them of 3150. So if the tanks have to be filled %10 over to get the full 100 in of air, how does the valve take it? Very confused!

OK...here we go...

Faber cylinders are normally listed in size based on liters.

This particular cylinder is almost a 12 liter cylinder.

The working pressure is 244 BAR or 3495 PSI if the "+" is maintained.

At this working pressure the cylinder will hold 100 Cu. Ft. of gas.

I don't know about the valves, but most likely the rating you mention is on the burst disk which means it is rated for a cylinder that has a working pressure of 3150 psi and is built to stand pressures up to or minus 10% of the test pressure...which for this cylinder is 5300 psi.

Hope this helps.

Chris

It does help alot. You made it a little more clear. Do you know anthing about the Faber HP's. I have always owned PST. Now that PST's are so hard to get and really expensive. the Fabers seem like a decent choice.

I own and use both and sell neither. I have had good service from both PST and Faber and would/will buy either/both again.

For future reference an easy formula for converting cylinders listed as liters to cubic feet, do the following:

take the working pressure and multiply times 14.7, this will give you the working pressure in bar

multiply bar times the volume in liquid liters, this will give you the capacity in liters.

divide capacity in liters by 28.3, this will give you cubic feet capacity in gas.

example:

3180/14.7=216.32

216.32*11.9 liters=2574.20

2574.20/28.3=90.96

or as you indicated a 90 cubic foot cylinder.

Of course some of the figures were rounded for simplicity.

Good luck.

Chris

COVCI:
take the working pressure and multiply times 14.7, this will give you the working pressure in bar

<SNIP>

example:

3180/14.7=216.32

<SNIP>

You said to multiply and then it appears you divided...

:banana:

Good catch...sorry about that.

Should read as take the wp and divide by 14.7.

Chris

COVCI:
I own and use both and sell neither. I have had good service from both PST and Faber and would/will buy either/both again.

For future reference an easy formula for converting cylinders listed as liters to cubic feet, do the following:

multiply bar times the volume in liquid liters, this will give you the capacity in liters.

divide capacity in liters by 28.3, this will give you cubic feet capacity in gas.

example:

3180/14.7=216.32

216.32*11.9 liters=2574.20

2574.20/28.3=90.96

or as you indicated a 90 cubic foot cylinder.

Of course some of the figures were rounded for simplicity.

Good luck.

Chris

PSI to bar is 14.5, not 14.7

Actually 1 Atmosphere is 14.696 psi but who is counting...

Chris

COVCI:
Actually 1 Atmosphere is 14.696 psi but who is counting...

Chris
14.7 was definately close enough.. then again... whose defination do you go by...

the defination we normall use in mbar is 1013 (plus a decimal places) while the Europeans define the standard atmosphere as 1000 mbar both are based on water and use DIFFERENT specific densities of that said water...

Back
Top Bottom