Faber Double HP 120s Test Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Favor to ask...

Is there is anyone in / around central Florida who owns a pair of double Faber HP 120s who would let me dive them to see how they trim out?

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of new tanks at a good price but I can't test them before I buy. I want to make sure they don't make me too bottom / leg heavy before I commit.

I would be happy to meet and do a dive together with you if you want, and of course I will pay for the fills.

If someone has singles I have bands to make a twin-set.

I would rent from a shop but the closest I can find is two hours away.

Thanks in advance!!

Luke

I had the same dilemma and went with the option of hiring. You've got more time to evaluate buoyancy and trim.

Get yourself some Aussie 120s

24 inches high, 8 inch diameter

Why on alpha centauri do they make US tanks TWENTY NINE INCHES HIGH

I spoke to Dayo scuba since the OP and it looks like they might have a pair of HP120s tucked away. So I will try and get over there rent them. I'm also going to try a pair of LP85s from them.

In the meantime if anyone wants to meet for a dive to test tanks out please let me know!

Get yourself some Aussie 120s

24 inches high, 8 inch diameter

Why on alpha centauri do they make US tanks TWENTY NINE INCHES HIGH
Yep, we got those. Call them 119s.

My 7" PST3500-120s work fine - Average-ish US height male. But they are only 28" tall. My buddy loves his as doubles.

Maybe it is a cultural appreciation of long/lean instead of short/wide? Unfortunately, I find myself transmogrifying from a to b, slowly (not slowly enough).

OTOH, If what I've seen lately is correct, those 29" tanks aren't going to be any problem for the next generation average - male or female. I guess eating crap, drinking, and (for some) smoking really does stunt your growth ...

Mate I'm 6'4" and couldn't imagine currently diving a five inch longer tank

full.jpg

I had the same doubts about them being too long (hence why I want to try them out), but they seem to be really popular here in FL with guys over 6' tall. (I'm 6'1").

So I went for it and bought a pair of new HP120s (I got a great deal!). And today I did some test dives. No trim issues whatsoever. In fact I was actually still a little head heavy if anything. The length didn't bother me. I can see why they are such a popular doubles choice.

Long tanks are nice in drysuit or heavy wetsuits because the extra length puts some weight farther aft and counters floaty feet without needing extra (arguably inefficient) weight in the fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom