Faber 12 Liter steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guessing it comes from the same factory in Italy as all of the others (I think they're all made in Italy)... and Faber is the most popular steel tank in Australia AFAIK. Didn't do a lot of diving outside of certification while I was in Australia, but from talking to tech divers on an Australian site, Faber 12.2L tanks (100cf) are the tanks of choice for technical diving and making up doubles. PST aren't available down under. No-one seems to have a problem with them. Not sure what the situation in Israel is.

12L is about a 98cf tank, right? I think 232bar is also Faber's definition of a LP tank, which is around 3350psi. Check with your usual gas fill station to see if they can fill it to that pressure.

Just make sure the tank is either in hydro, or the seller agrees to give you a refund if you buy it and it fails hydro. A visual inspection wouldn't hurt.

The tank is brand new, never used. It was bought by the guy during a diving course, which he never finished.

I guess (I still did'nt see the tank, just talked to the guy), that it is well into hydro and probably have over 3 years to next test.

I will have to further look into it.

By the way, 232 bar is 3365.80 psi, which get you to just over 98 cf. I will have to check with my scuba operator to see is they can fill it up to 232.

Do you know anything about the longevity of these tanks? Any info as to the kind of surface treatment that they get (in & out)? Bouyancy characteristics?

Any info will be welcome.

Ari :)

BS 5045 Pt 1 standard.
Chromium Molybdenum Alloy Steel
Cold deep drawn.
Hot zinc sprayed.
Finished in 2 part polyurethane paint (White).
Internally finished with Ferrous Phosphate.

That's taken from an Australian online reseller of the Faber 12.2L tanks. I just check the Faber website (www.divefaber.com) - there was no mention of a different standard for Israel, so I'm guessing it's probably the same. Here's a chart from the Faber website which probably has your tank on it.

As far as longevity... it will probably outlast your diving career! There are steel tanks on eBay every now and again dating from the 50's and 60's that are in hydro. I've rented 1970's steel tanks before from dive shops. The big thing with steel tanks (all tanks really), is to never let them sit unpressurised, as this can allow moisture to enter and rust to form inside the tank. Visual inspections should catch this though, and they can be tumbled to remove it.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom