F-15 lands missing 1 wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. This isn't the first time I've heard a story about F-15's like this. This customer I met once was an F-15 pilot in Desert Storm. They were on a hunt for SAM sites, flying low, when a SAM was fired and collided with them. He said that since they were flying so low, the missile hadn't armed yet and did not explode. Either that or it was a dud. It hit the wing and caused some pretty serious damage, fuel running everywhere, but it didn't rip the wing off like in the case of this mid-air collision. He said although it was tough he was able to regain control. His navigator says: "Aren't we going to punch out??!" "Hell no, we're not going to punch out! We're going to get out of here and go home!" I asked him, well, why wouldn't you eject? He said, "Right. Eject over enemy territory where we'd most likely get killed, and then cause a rescue mission where we'd be lucky if they found us. No thanks." They limped home in the busted F-15 and made it a-okay. He really credited the flight mechanics and the serviceability of the aircraft, because he said that plane was fixed up and back in service the next day!

Pretty amazing.

That's amazing. That pilot has brass where it counts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom