Eyesea Sonar Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a XIOS EyeSea Sonar manual?
I just purchased a used unit that didn't have instructions with it.
I did get some initial instruction with the purchase but a manual would be nice as I have some questions.
The only thing I could find on the internet was a manual published in French.

Diver Dude:
I did get some initial instruction with the purchase but a manual would be nice as I have some questions.

Wow... best of luck. I think that company went out of business years ago... virtually every unit we had flooded. And the US distributor said they could not get them anymore, and could not get the flooded units replaced or credited.

If you have the manual in French on a page, you could use the yahoo translator - won't be perfect, but should let you figure it out.

scubatoys:
Wow... best of luck. I think that company went out of business years ago... virtually every unit we had flooded. And the US distributor said they could not get them anymore, and could not get the flooded units replaced or credited.

If you have the manual in French on a page, you could use the yahoo translator - won't be perfect, but should let you figure it out.

Thanks Larry!! I used the Google language tool and it worked! I didn't mention that this document was in PFD format. That is what confused me.
Tell me..why did your units flood? The design on this thing looks pretty good.
Bryan

Diver Dude:
Thanks Larry!! I used the Google language tool and it worked! I didn't mention that this document was in PFD format. That is what confused me.
Tell me..why did your units flood? The design on this thing looks pretty good.
Bryan

You'd just see water creeping in under the display, then it would all go blank. We had bought a dozen to check them out, and 5 went bad within a few months, then the company folded up.... So if you got one that's working - you've got a rare bird!

scubatoys:
You'd just see water creeping in under the display, then it would all go blank. We had bought a dozen to check them out, and 5 went bad within a few months, then the company folded up.... So if you got one that's working - you've got a rare bird!

What kind of depth were you using these things in? Are you still using the 7 that didn't leak?
Bryan

Diver Dude:
What kind of depth were you using these things in? Are you still using the 7 that didn't leak?
Bryan

We sold them on our site... Customers who had them flooded them and sent them back... None were in excess of 100 feet... and one died in 30 feet. As far as the others... I never heard from them - so either they work fine, they don't dive with them, or it got them so lost they could never get back to a phone to complain. :wink:

Diver Dude:

Hey Diver Dude... I've had a Xios EyeSea for about 2 years and have used it on about 50 dives ranging from 30 feet to 130 feet in depth. The model I have is the Sport version in which the transmitter hangs from the boat to up to 30 feet. There's a Wreck version in which the transmitter can be set at depth. Anyway, I have the box and instruction book that came with it -- bought it on Ebay. If it would help, I'll photo copy the instruction book and mail it to you. I used to take it on almost every dive, but it ate batteries up like nothing I've ever seen -- got expensive to use therefore. And the receiver unit was always in the way. Finally I zip-tied it to my computer/SPG and put that on a retractor. For me, that worked the best. It was a cool idea, but apparently a general flop due to all kinds of glitches from leaks to data screens going blank at the very moment you really needed it. Company is gone -- for good. Expensive ($700) lesson! Happy diving.... Doc

Doc,
Thanks for the response. After continuos calls to the former owner he finally found the manual and mailed it to me.
I hope I have the luck you have had with yours. After reading the posts in this forum
I almost wish I didn't buy it.
I think I have the Wreck version.There is no mention of the Wreck version in the manual but, The TX has a sticker on it that says "WRECK DIVER F:3".
I bought it from a local dive shop. The owner said he only used it about five times and never below 50 feet.
I have only used it in my sink. It does everything the instructions say it should do except for the diver recall mode. Does your recall mode work?
Thanks,
Bryan

Diver Dude:
I did get some initial instruction with the purchase but a manual would be nice as I have some questions. The only thing I could find on the internet was a manual published in French.

Hey Brian.... Yes, mine has the recall mode. In the recall mode, someone at the transmitter can push a button on the transmitter and all the receivers listening to it will suddenly get a message to return. Since nobody ever runs my transmitter except myself, I've never seen the recall mode in actual operation. The problems I've had with the unit are: #1 -- It eats batteries up; #2 -- In shallow water (less than 30 feet) or near shore (especially near bluffs or a rocky bottom) it is inaccurate; #3 -- It's physically in the way during a dive;

Let me elaborate a bit. As for battery usage, the transmitter can go several dives on the same set of AA's. The receiving unit can go one reasonably long dive reliably on a fresh set of batteries -- about an hour. After that, it runs on luck alone. If you try a second dive on the same set of AA's, my unit usually dies during the dive. If you're really lucky, and get thru a 2nd dive, there is no chance at all to make a 3rd dive. So, 4 new double A's have to get dropped into the unit for each dive. Typically I do a 3 dive day, and I dive almost every week -- sometimes twice per week. The cost really mounts up. Rechargeables just don't cut it -- not enough output. So, that's a real limiting factor. Secondly, since I live in the mid-west and therefore most of my diving is in lakes, I often anchor in the most shallow water I am able. So typically the depth under my boat at anchor is about 15 feet. Also, I tend to anchor off islands or shore bluffs, so the bottom drops away rapidly down to as deep as 250 feet. When the transmitter (i.e., sonar unit) is in these circumstances, the beacon sound waves bounce off of the rocks, the bottom, the surface, and maybe even the boat, and gives me bad data on the receiver. Often times the receiver will tell me that I've arrived back at the boat, but when I surface I may be 100 feet or more from the boat. Once in a while it will bring me right back to the the beacon, but that's rare. I dive in water that seldom is clearer than 15 feet of viz -- often times it's only 3 to 4 feet. So, unless it brings me right back to the transmitter, I end up surfacing and facing a substantial surface swim, or have to take a compass reading and submerge again. I often do decompression dives, so when I surface, I don't like to resubmerge, and when I've finished my deco stops I don't like any hard physical activity (like long swims) for fear of the effort causing a nitrogen hit. On the other hand, when I can hang the unit in open water with the bottom at least 50 feet deep, it will work like a charm -- usually. Occasionally it will still be a bit inaccurate on the return -- although the direction is always right on, i.e., it has never led me away from the boat. Lastly, the whole wrist-mount feature is just about useless to me. I usually have a dry suit on, and with the suit being so bulky, the wrist unit won't stay in place. It rolls around, and bumps just about everything I'm near. I also am 57 years old and have trouble focusing my vision up close -- even with magnifyers in my mask. So, with the unit on my wrist, I have trouble at times reading the faceplate. I rolled up the wrist band, and forced some zip-ties under the wrist band posts. Then I lashed these to the back side of my console (computer, SPG, and compass). That made the console understandably heavy and bulky, but I connected that to a heavy duty retractor hooked to my BC, and that whole affair keeps it close to me and out of trouble. I put my console on a long (42") HP hose, so I can get the unit far enough away from my face to read it now.

In the last year or so, the novelty of the unit has worn off for me, so I haven't used it in recent history. I'd love to sell it while it's working, but haven't bothered. When all is working and the unit is 'in the groove' it's like magic -- in water with only arm's length viz, and after an hour's dive (even to 180 feet) it will lead me right back to the boat. When it works like that it's beautiful.

I don't know much about the TX unit -- i.e., the wreck model. I would worry that if you position the beacon close to the bottom or near a big steel hull at depth that the sound waves would bounce off everything and that the receiver would have trouble getting you back with precision to the transmitter. If you only end up within a hundred feet of the surface line on wreck dive and can't find the line to the boat, you could be in a real nasty situation -- especailly if you have manditory deco stops and have a current. When I dive the Atlantic wrecks (especially the NJ coast) I always carry a Jersey Up-Reel, just for those 'can't find anchor line' situations. When I dive my lakes and quarries I carry a 250' dive reel and a 6 foot sausage. In worst case situations I send up the sausage or the bag on the reel or Up-Line, and ascend the line, doing my stops or hangs on it. Trying to do a direct ascent with manditory stops from more than 100 feet in a dry suit is almost suicidal in my opinion -- and in my experience.

I corresponded with another diver in the San Diego area who was using an EyeSea Xios unit. I saw that she bought one on E-Bay, so I contacted her and we kept up (on and off) for a couple of years. She had exactly the same problems that I did, and then finally she wrote and told me that her unit simply stopped working. She sold it back on E-Bay as a non-functioning unit at a great loss. She was the only other diver I have known with one of these units -- she also had the sport version like mine. The sport version has the same receiver as the wreck model, the difference is only the transmitter. Mine can't be suspended deeper than 30 feet, and the wreck version has a bottom limit around 200 feet (as I remember).

Well, let me know how you do. Bring lots of batteries. Don't turn your receiving unit on until you are just about to jump into the water -- or your surface 'on-time' will shorten the life of your batteries during your dive. And always take a good compass reading and depth reading under your boat so that you have an alternative source of navigation on your dive -- if you haven't already, you should take a diving navigation course. Let me kow how you do. Happy diving, and safe diving..... Doc

Nice report, Doc, thanks. When I was visiting MA last May I did a charter dive out of Cape Ann. One of the divers had an EyeSea Sonar RX unit attached to his wrist (he was diving wet - in 41 degree water). He hung the TX unit over the side of the boat. I asked him how he liked it. He didn't complain about the batteries, but he said it lost him if he went over 150 feet away or so. Like you he always took a compass heading, and used it in conjunction with the unit. He was pretty pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom