Eyes Open or Closed while performing the Mask Clearing Skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done it both ways but I will say it stings for awhile in saltwater. I probably keep my eyes open more often though to make sure the mask is completely cleared.

I observed some pro training this past weekend and noticed this during the flood and mask off skills. If you are demoing a flood or mask off skill, consider what you look like to your student with your eyes closed. If you do a hard squeeze of your eyes you might appear uncomfortable to your students. If you simply have them gently closed you should appear relaxed. You appearing relaxed will probably cause your student to be relaxed.

I'va done it both ways.

For me...
Mask flood & clear: eyes closed until clear of water. Easy to feel, no need for someone to squeeze my arm. Might as well limit the saltwater sting or cold shock.
Mask exchange: eyes open to maintain depth reference

Open in salt water. Closed in chlorinated pool. I don't want my eyes open for any reason in or around chlorine.
I just naturally keep them open in salt water to see what's happening. I haven't noticed any salt water getting into my eyes doing that. But salt water doesn't bother me that way anyway.
I imagine I would keep them closed doing a fully flooded mask skill in salt water. Only time I did that had to be when I took OW course. Have had no reason to do it the following 15 years, other than to demonstrate it in the pool.

Closed in pool usually due to chlorine but I don't really have a problem with it. Normally open in salt water but it might depend on how long:

If my mask suddenly flooded, I would probably close my eyes reflexively and clear the mask as I can do that pretty quickly without losing buoyancy control. Since we have cold water, I would avoid the initial shock to my eyeballs.

If I were going to be without a mask for more than a few seconds, I would open my eyes so I can get my references. During tech training we did things like ascents and holding stops for 10 minutes without a mask while other simulated problems happen. That is extremely tough with eyes closed and relying on touch contact from your buddy to tell you you're above or below target depth. Being able to make out a blurry buddy enough to let you match their depth. You can make out a surprising amount without a mask so I'm pretty comfortable swimming around without one.

It's good to present both sides and think it's much better than you think it would be to have your eyes open in salt water and it helps build comfort underwater.

Back
Top Bottom