Extract of Prickly Pear Cactus Pills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ern Campbell is a retired surgeon who has been advocating research into the effects of prickly pear cactus extract on heat stress protein production during diving based on its effect as a hangover treatment. He has been trying to find researchers since 1998 and so far no competent research organizaton has bitten. This pops up on his Ten Foot Stop blog every once in a while. Preliminary research on the prickly pear and agave by NASA in the early '90s suggested it could be a possible adjunct for a diver with Type 1 decompression sickness during hyperbaric treatment. Haven't heard anything else in a few years on the NASA work but I probably wouldn't recommend embarking on a quick self-study....... :D

TOJ :coffee:

Thanks, wasn't gonna try it, but was curious.

I drink agave the night before diving often, no problems so far, hangovers excluded.

something to think about.

I like my prickly pear in a marguarita! :lol: Never had a hangover after!! Now I have another reason to have ONE the night before!

Hello jcsgt:

I posted this earlier but do not see it on the BOARD.

Heat Shock Proteins

These compounds are in all living things from bacteria to humans. They appear in situations of stress, and they are thus called “Stress Proteins.” They were first found in fruit files that were heated and thus are referred to as “hear shock proteins.” Some stressors are inflammation, heat, infection, and now, decompression.

Decompression

This material from the prickly pear has been reported to mitigate the effects of heat shock [stress] proteins. There is at least this one report of the material reducing the number of vascular bubbles following decompression.

Remember that vascular bubbles are not the causative agent of joint-pain DCS (the bends). Therefore, a reduction in vascular (Doppler) bubbles would not necessarily reduce DCS (joint pain).

We will have to see how this plays out.

NASA

NASA did not test this material in the early 1990s. I was the head of the Barophysiology section at that time and no that no NASA work was done. NASA is following this material along with nitric oxide effects.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Remember that vascular bubbles are not the causative agent of joint-pain DCS (the bends). Therefore, a reduction in vascular (Doppler) bubbles would not necessarily reduce DCS (joint pain).

what is the mechanism for causing the pain? I always assumed that the bubbles acted as microemboli. Does Prickly Pear effect clotting times?

Hello catherine96821:

Emboli

Bubbles can act as emboli and they embolized lung capillaries (and do little) or they can embolize the brain. This latter organ is the real problem since it is very sensitive to the loss of oxygen for more than a few minutes (at body temperature).

It one could eliminate these vascular bubbles, it would do much toward reducing neurological DCS where embolization is the causative mechanism.

DCS Pain

Bubbles that form in place (in situ) probably cause the joint pain (the bends) that a diver feels. They never move and are not embolizing entities. (That is, they do not flow in the blood stream.) This is believed to be the result of a growth of the free-gas phase and pressure on nerve endings.

It is not yet known whether this mechanism would be affected by the heat shock (stress) proteins. A similar situation is true for nitric oxide.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom