External strobe for Sea&Sea MX-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilker

Reaction score
I have a Sea&Sea MX-10 with a YS-40A.

Anybody knows how it performs with the external flash ? (mainly in in terms of backscattering)

You'll get some backscatter because the flash is fixed, on the same plane as the film, and close to the lens.

gbundersea make a MXTENDER that allows you to remove the YS-40A flash from the camera to change the angle and distance. Mounted on a regular tray, it works very well.

Hi Dee,

is the MXTENDER worth $210? Have you got one? Does it make that much difference in clear, high vis water?

No, I don't have one but only because I upgraded my camera system before GB invented it, or I knew about it. In fact, the only reason I upgraded was to move to a system that had a removeable strobe. But I have friends who have it so I know it works.

Let's back up a minute.....
The MX-10 itself is a very good camera and with the 2 macro lenses, 2 wide angle lenses and a close-up lens that are available, it's a very versatile system. But if you are expecting 1:1 macro shots, you aren't ever going to get it. The MX-10 accepts 2 film speeds, ISO100 and ISO400. You can use ISO50 slides but you have to alter your exposure to do so. The YS-40A strobe is basic and it works. For it's size, it's very powerful.

The only problem with the MX-10 is the fixed strobe and it's closeness to the lens. That is eliminated with the MXTENDER. The $210 sounds like alot of money but it's far less than one of the other external strobes with a sync cord. You will have one more additional expense and that's a tray and strobe arm but the S&S's aren't that expensive. So for about $350 (on the outside) you'll be set to take any kind of picture.

So back to your question....Is it worth it? Yes, to be it would have been. If the MXTENDR had been available 5-6 years ago, or if I had known about it, I would probably still be using the MX-10! Well...maybe not....I sure do enjoy my digital!

This is one of my favorite photos I ever took with my MX-10

abq.sized.jpg

That coral looks like it's about to swallow you. :D

My problem is that I was into SLR photography before getting into diving.

So the fixed focus limitations of the MX-10 frustrate me a bit. I knew they would when I bought it, but I figure I can sell it on when I've done with it.

I'm a holiday diver, since my reason for diving is to photograph pretty, colorful tropical fish - and we don't have too many of those in the murky waters around the UK (or so I've heard).

The idea of spending $200 on a piece of (albeit fibre-optic) cable to use once or twice a year (in clear water, since I don't dive the murk) seems a bit pricey to me, when I have half an eye on the future, which looks like digital is going to be the place.

If it really makes a great difference to the use of the MX-10, I might consider it. But if it's only an incremental improvement, I'd probably not bother.

Anyone managed to make their own? How hard can it be?

alexeames once bubbled...
The idea of spending $200 on a piece of (albeit fibre-optic) cable to use once or twice a year (in clear water, since I don't dive the murk) seems a bit pricey to me, when I have half an eye on the future, which looks like digital is going to be the place.

If it really makes a great difference to the use of the MX-10, I might consider it. But if it's only an incremental improvement, I'd probably not bother.

Anyone managed to make their own? How hard can it be?

If you only use it once or twice a year, maybe it isn't worth it. Getting the strobe away from the lens and at an angle to the film plane will make a signifacant difference, especially in the elimination of backscatter. Only you can decide.

If you have plans on going digital in the future, you might think about the re-sell value. Digital systems have gotten so affordable, with low learning curves, and excellent results, that alot of people, especially beginners, are going to digital. That make the re-sell value of film cameras really low. I sold my MMIIexPro with dual strobes, all the lenses, sync cords, etc. for $1800 a little over a year ago. That same system today won't sell for half that.

Dee once bubbled...

If you have plans on going digital in the future, you might think about the re-sell value. Digital systems have gotten so affordable, with low learning curves, and excellent results, that alot of people, especially beginners, are going to digital. That make the re-sell value of film cameras really low. I sold my MMIIexPro with dual strobes, all the lenses, sync cords, etc. for $1800 a little over a year ago. That same system today won't sell for half that.

That's a very good point Dee.

Since I bought it secondhand already I'd figured I could sell it off for more or less what I paid for it. But now considering what you say it may be a lot harder than that ;-0

I have got a digital that I use with an ewa-marine "plastic bag" housing for snorkelling. I love the fact that you can see results instantly and follow the fish some more if you didn't get the right shot.

alexeames once bubbled...
That's a very good point Dee.

Since I bought it secondhand already I'd figured I could sell it off for more or less what I paid for it. But now considering what you say it may be a lot harder than that ;-0

I have got a digital that I use with an ewa-marine "plastic bag" housing for snorkelling. I love the fact that you can see results instantly and follow the fish some more if you didn't get the right shot.

You may have just answered your own question!

When you also consider the expense of film, the developing and printing compared to the number of pictures you keep and display, either on your wall or in an album, plus no longer being restricted by a fixed length lens...digital is a no-brainer! :)

Back
Top Bottom