Extended Diving ~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to Coz for the first time and plan to schedule 5-6 days of 3 tank boat diving, (no night dives.)

If I begin the day heading out at 7:30 am from docks will 15 dives in 5 days be a good plan for Cozumel diving? If I insert a break in there somewhere to maximize my diving, what day would be best?

Any other things to keep in mind besides staying hydrated, no strenuous exercise after dives, observing no fly guidelines, and doing consistent safety stops?

Thanks ~
PS: It's great to have a resource like this board for less experienced folks like me! I sincerely appreciate the time people take from their busy schedules to help out.

Relax and have fun. It's not about the number of tanks you burn but the quality of your vacation.

mm777:
If I begin the day heading out at 7:30 am from docks will 15 dives in 5 days be a good plan for Cozumel diving? If I insert a break in there somewhere to maximize my diving, what day would be best?

Any other things to keep in mind besides staying hydrated, no strenuous exercise after dives, observing no fly guidelines, and doing consistent safety stops?
If you are relaxed and comfortable in the water, three dives a day should be no problem. Make sure that you have a SI of at least 1 hour between dives, and preferably more - many boats like to get you back into the water ASAP to save time. Pay attention to the repetitive dive parameters given by your computer or tables. Doing three dives a day I prefer using a computer, which can take more parameters into account than standard tables. Stay well within NDL on all you dives - no "pushing the envelope". If you ever feel headachy or tired, don't do the dive. Make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Have fun!

Don't forget to use your best computer ... your head. Many computers seem to rush you back into the water. Also, do nice slow ascents with good safety stops, including deep safety stops, i.e starting at one-half of your dive depth.

These are all good replies. My main thrust is: Avoid strenuous exercise.

You know, I've been wondering about that. On a recent trip after surfacing downcurrent from entry I had a pretty strenuous surface swim back. That would probably be considered a trigger for DCS risk, right?

Dr Deco:
These are all good replies. My main thrust is: Avoid strenuous exercise.

Laboratory research shows that vigorous exercise post dive increases the incidence of Doppler bubbles and risk.

With altitude decompression, exercise during the ascent portion (equivalent to the surface portion of a saturation dive) is harmful.

mm777,

All the replies have been right on the mark. I would like to add a couple of things for you to think about.

Be sure and stay well hydrated. Drink water like you're in the desert. The sun, saltwater, alcohol and the food will often dehydrate you.

When you get on the boat in the morning drink a bottle of water on the way to the dive site. When you get back on board grab another bottle. On your SI drink a bottle.

I had an opportunity to visit with the dive chambers operators in Cozumel and their replies were the same. The main reason they find for people coming to the chambers is not violating depth/time/ascent rates but dehydration.

I've been to Cozumel 14 times and am headed back the first week of April. My wife and I love diving there so much we thought we would start paying taxes so we bought a house.

If you begin the day early and take good breaks you should have no problems. Long safety stops and deep stops are always good. Remember that you don't get a refund on leftover air in your tank. Do a good long safety stop.

No strenuous exercise after dives means not humping all your dive gear all over the place. Relax and take it easy and enjoy your diving.

Good luck on your trip,

Jim

Maybe the doc could comment on this; but Ive read some papers a while back that stated heavy exercise BEFORE diving was one of the best ways to avoid DCS...

Before a day of big diving I drink a bunch of water, pop an asprin, and jog myself silly... and after the dives I take it easy in diret correlation with my N level...

MM I know your new at this, but thats a pretty light profile. Ill often do 12 drops past 100 feet in a weekend. Many, many other divers do too... and they rarely get bent.

In my experience people get bent for two major reasons. #1 is thay screw up: blown stops, rapid ascent rates, etc. #2 is that they get bent... it sometimes seems sporadic. Guys with hundreds or thousands of dives, doing the same profiles as always... sometimes just get bent. PFO? Post dive exercise? Something they ate? Who knows.

If you follow the rules and avoid being stupid you will probably be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom