Extendable snorkle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone make a snorkel that can easily be extended from lets say about 6" up to a couple inches longer than most standard snorkels?
I don't like the drag that the standard snorkel causes and I don't like sucking water in when I am waiting for a pickup in waves and wind. Folding snorkels, floating on my back, and blowing up my BC to 60 PSI are unacceptable options. Is this just another one of my over simplistic million dollar ideas that won't fly?

Does anyone make a snorkel that can easily be extended from lets say about 6" up to a couple inches longer than most standard snorkels?

My snorkel extends well beyond that unless the water's really cold....

Fairly confident you will not find snorkels any longer than they currently are. When you breath with a snorkel, you are extending your airway by roughly 12 inches. After you exhale, as you inhale, you are rebreathing your expired air for the length of the snorkel mouth and esophigus until you breath more air volume than is this airway. If you still have your OW book, you should find this issue documented.

Sorry

I support the OP.

While it is true that longer snorkels are all but impossible to find, I believe that for some people in certain situations they would be quite useful. And I am one of them.

On many occasions, I wished I had a longer snorkel. When I float around reefs in rough seas, I often have to purge every time I exhale and this is both annoying and exhausting. In such conditions if my snorkel were just one inch longer, it would make my snorkeling both safer and more enjoyable.

Fairly confident you will not find snorkels any longer than they currently are. When you breath with a snorkel, you are extending your airway by roughly 12 inches. After you exhale, as you inhale, you are rebreathing your expired air for the length of the snorkel mouth and esophigus until you breath more air volume than is this airway. If you still have your OW book, you should find this issue documented.

Sorry

The volume of dead air a person can handle is individual. Among other factors it depends on the volume of the person's lungs and the breathing rhythm. Logically, the more air one in/exhales with each breath, the smaller the proportion of dead air in the lung.

I have encountered people who have difficulties breathing with a standard length snorkel. Often they are shallow breathers and when they start suffering the symptoms of hypercapnia, they instinctively increase their breathing rate exacerbating the problem and end up tearing the snorkel and the mask of their faces. (Interestingly, once the mask is off people take a deep breath.)

People with a sufficient lung volume (and possibly other physiological qualities I know nothing about) obviously can handle longer snorkels, and so do people with smaller lungs if they breath consciously.

To me the disadvantage of a longer snorkel would be rather the difficulty to purge after a (free) dive. I regularly purge twice: surface, blow, inhale slowly and carefully, blow again. If my snorkels were another 6" longer, I'd probably have to take it out of my mouth and let gravity do the work.

In "normal" snorkeling conditions the standard snorkel is ideal. But a longer snorkel would come handy on a windy day. I am actually considering of duct-taping a section of a snorkel on top and try it for both snorkel types: with and without valves.

Have you guys tried the snorkels with the baffles at the top that shed water that has splashed into the top? My daughter has one and while she hasn't been in rough water with it yet, the baffles seem like they'd shed most of the water out of the sides before it gets down to the J bend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom