Exposure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

This is the start of a write up I’m doing for the tips/techniques section; I decided to make a smaller post separate to catch everyone's attention.

For the camera setup I used a mamiya RB76 with a 90mm lens, Polaroid iso-3000 film as a base. For the exposure calculations I used a pentax V analog 1 degree spot meter. For the subject I used my mares mr-22 non-titanium, non-ruby 2nd stage. It is sitting on top of my pentax meter case and a gray card. My meter point is the shadow of the regulator. At this location “proper exposure” according to the meter gave me F/5.6 at 1/15 seconds.

For reference this is a gray card, a.k.a. Zone V. This is ‘middle gray.
zone-V.jpg

This is an image with correct exposure. Note that the shadow of the meter is the same as the gray card (well not 100% but very close)

exp1-300iso-f5.6-1.15.jpg

For the next shot I decided to over expose. I decided to use 1 second, which is 4 stops over exposed. Yes that’s a drastic over exposure but it suits the purpose. Note the detail on the meter case (the bag under the regulator). Also note the highlights on the bag are burned out.
exp1-300iso-f5.6-1sec.jpg

For the final shot I decided to under expose. I used 1/400 seconds, 5 stops under exposed. Again this is drastic. Note only the very bright areas are visible.
exp1-300iso-f5.6-1.400.jpg

Remember that the meter in the camera views the world as a gray card. If you wish to lighten or darken a scene then you need to adjust the exposure accordingly. This not only depends on the film you are using but the camera as well.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom