Exposure suits for Ambergris Mid May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am heading to Ambergris in mid May 2010 with my wife and daughter. I need some advice on both water temps and air temps.

We all have 3/2 full suits, but my wife and I also have 3mm shortys. Full suits or shorty?

As for the air temps - the 79 degree average on the web has my wife thinking it will bo "cool" for her. She is tiny and gets cold easy.

Any experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

I get cold pretty easily. I use a full 3mm in May. By July it's warmed up to where I would maybe use a shorty for one dive. More than one a day, back to the full.

Water temp is going to be in the 80 degree range and most people suffice with a 3mmas for your wife you may want to consider for the furure a semi dry suit since she tends to get cold easy.

The difference between a wet suit and semi dry suit is a wet suit lets the water into the suit and your body warms it up which is how you stay warm. the problem with a wet suit for someone that gets cold easy is it keeps filling with water and your body has to continually heat that new water up to stay warm.

A semi dry suit is an excellent choice for someone that tends to get cold easy as it only lets in water once during the dive upon entry.
Your body heats that water up and then the water is kept in the suit by seals on the wrist and ankles and only dumps the water when you get out.

The benefit for this is the water only has to be heated up once by the body and you stay warmer and use less energy.

A good 3mm custom measured semi dry suit for the wife I think would be a long term solution to her getting cold on dives.

As far as full or shortie I think full for the wife and a shortie for you

Gaz Cooper

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom