Exposure Suit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, this is probably on the wrong forum but I figured the folks on here would know the answer. My wife and I are diving Cozumel the end of October. Neither of us own a tropical wetsuit and am looking for a recommendation, not on a brand, but on style and thickness. I am leaning towards a 3/2 full for me or maybe a 3 mil shorty. What are the thoughts from the folks here who dive Coz. on a regular basis ?

Thanks
Bill

BillNH:
Hi, this is probably on the wrong forum but I figured the folks on here would know the answer. My wife and I are diving Cozumel the end of October. Neither of us own a tropical wetsuit and am looking for a recommendation, not on a brand, but on style and thickness. I am leaning towards a 3/2 full for me or maybe a 3 mil shorty. What are the thoughts from the folks here who dive Coz. on a regular basis ?

Thanks
Bill

I am also going end of Ocober
I use a 3mm shorty, Occasionly with a hood on a night dive
the current sucks the warmth out of you.

Personally, I have a 3mm full and a hood which work well for me. This is good for me down to about 78 f. I still wear the suit even if the water if 85 and I have yet to be too warm.

If you're planning on diving many times in one week, I'd suggest a full 3 mil.....We were there last October and a shorty for the entire week wouldn't have worked out. We'll be there Oct22nd-29th again this year, and we're ready!

I got by with a diveskin so I'd imagine a 3mil would be fine for repetitive dives over a week. I wouldn't go with the shorty, just my opinion. Get a full for more protection.

BillNH:

Thanks
Bill

The water temps will be in the 80 - 82 range most likely, possibly may cool down a little more by then.

This question really depends on your tolerance and tendency to chill. How many days will you be diving? How many dives per day will you be doing? Think about the bottom times you are expecting (ie: if you are diving with a shop that limits bottom times to 40 minutes or a shop that routinely does 1.5 hour dives). All of these things factor in.

However, I would probably recommend a full 3mm for a good all around tropical suit.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the input. My initial thoughts were a full 3mil and thats what I am going to do based on the consensus. I could always use the suit for waterskiing and other things at home as well. Can't wait to get there !

While I was completely warm in a 3mm shorty, some newbie pushed me into some fire coral while I stopped to look at something in a swim-through at San Francisco Wall. Pretty nasty welts resulted in that experience that I probably would not have gotten had I been wearing a full suit.

Mel

I always wear something of a full protection nature. I have a 2 full suits for warmer waters, a .5mm and a 2/3mm. Keeps things off ya like unseen jellyfish also. Prevents barnacle cuts and scrapes if you bump up against a wreck, so on and so forth . . .

BillNH:

Thanks
Bill

You dont need a thick suit but maybe get one thats a little warmer than you need, being cold sucks and out mares suits are fine but i could use a warmer one occasionally

Back
Top Bottom