Exposure Suit for Wide Range of Temperatures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xyrandomyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to diving. I've finally decided to get my own exposure suit. It seems like there are a lot of options on the market, so I'm a bit bewildered by all the choice.

If at all possible, I'd like to buy only one exposure suit. But, in the area where I'll do most of my diving, there's quite a wide range of water temperatures (well, it seems wide to me): from about 7--18 degrees Celsius (~45--65 degrees Fahrenheit). It can get a little colder or warmer on freak days, but that's the typical range.

Up until now, I've only used rental one-piece, 7mm wetsuits with attached hoods. None have fitted very well (which makes me think a custom suit might be a good idea). I start getting uncomfortably cold after about 30 minutes in 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). I'd like to dive for a bit longer than that, but wouldn't be too unhappy if I had to live with shorter dives in colder water. I don't see myself wanting to dive for much more than an hour.

Any suggestions for an exposure suit that would be comfortable right across that range of temperatures? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and get more than one for different conditions?

Any suggestions for an exposure suit that would be comfortable right across that range of temperatures? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and get more than one for different conditions?

Not the answer you're looking for, I'm sure, but the optimal solution for you is a dry suit. Something in a tri-lam will allow you to vary undergarments based on water temps. I wear my DUI TLS 350 in water from 35F to 65F simply by layering various undergarments and the net result is that I always have the perfect amount of exposure protection for the conditions at hand.

A dry suit is your answer, specifically a laminate one. I cold water you can layer up more...in warmer water you may only need the dry suit itself.

Not the answer you're looking for, I'm sure, but the optimal solution for you is a dry suit. Something in a tri-lam will allow you to vary undergarments based on water temps. I wear my DUI TLS 350 in water from 35F to 65F simply by layering various undergarments and the net result is that I always have the perfect amount of exposure protection for the conditions at hand.

Hmm, yes -- not the answer I was hoping for. A dry suit will clearly cost more and I'm going to need some extra training and practice (just when I was starting to get happy with my buoyancy control). Some of the locals seem happy in just 6.5mm wetsuits, but I suspect they're related to seals.

Anyway. If it's the right answer, it's the right answer -- thanks for your advice. I'll start reading more on drysuits.

Where are you located. A drysuit may not be as expensive as you think. If you are a stock size you can get a good basic suit for not much more than a custom top of the line wetsuit. Which in 45 degree water you do not want to cut corners and get a wetsuit that fits "good enough". There are suits that will do you very well and if a couple years down the road you want to upgrade will hold their value more than any wetsuit if taken care of. My suit was on the expensive side at 1600 but came with undies and drygloves. I sold the suit 6 years and close to 200 dives later for 600 and kept the undies. Made getting the new one much easier.

A wetsuit would have required me to go custom, been not as versatile, and probably cost close to 700 bucks. After the same number of dives I don't think I could have gotten anything for it, it would be severely compressed, and under the ice and at the bottom of Lake Erie I'd have froze my butt and a few other things off. Shoot me a PM with your measurements and let me see what I can do for you. It would at least give you an idea of what is out there.

Where are you located. A drysuit may not be as expensive as you think. If you are a stock size you can get a good basic suit for not much more than a custom top of the line wetsuit. Which in 45 degree water you do not want to cut corners and get a wetsuit that fits "good enough". There are suits that will do you very well and if a couple years down the road you want to upgrade will hold their value more than any wetsuit if taken care of. My suit was on the expensive side at 1600 but came with undies and drygloves. I sold the suit 6 years and close to 200 dives later for 600 and kept the undies. Made getting the new one much easier.

A wetsuit would have required me to go custom, been not as versatile, and probably cost close to 700 bucks. After the same number of dives I don't think I could have gotten anything for it, it would be severely compressed, and under the ice and at the bottom of Lake Erie I'd have froze my butt and a few other things off. Shoot me a PM with your measurements and let me see what I can do for you. It would at least give you an idea of what is out there.

I've just updated my profile to list my location. I'm way over on the other side of the world: Cape Town, South Africa. If you still think you might be able to help out given my location, let me know and I'll send you a message. Thanks for the offer.

I unfortunately think I'm probably not a stock size. That said, I don't even know which measurements are relevant, I'm just going on the fact that I'm yet to find a rental suit that really fits.

trilam drysuit. You can wear shorts and t-shirt under it or multiple layers of thermal underwear. One suit, all temps. You can find them at a good price for a used one.

You can also get real good dry suites used for real good prices . I purchased on a Twin shell Mobby's dry suit for $450.00 it came w/ a pee valve and new seals . I payed $450.00 for a Pinnacle 5mm mareno wet suite . I still use the wet suit in warmer temps and warmer air temps ., A dry suit can get uncomfortable in warm weather

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom