Explorer 30 or Advanced 35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattBPW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings folks, quick question.

Having briefly looked at what info is available on the internet does anyone know the difference/value of differentiating between the RAID Explorer 30 and Advanced 35 courses?

Obviously other than having an advisory bottom limit of either 30 or 35 meters what are the differences between these 2 courses?

Looking at the RAID diagram it looks like having completed the OW 20 course a student can chose either the 30 or 35 so i am wondering why bother with the 30 when you no doubt get all the same knowledge and training with the 35? Seems to be an extra course stuck in for the sake of a course?

Very happy to be educated and certainly not trying to start a slanging match.

Thanks in advance.

I'm also interested in this question. Planning on joining a liveaboard cruise next year (the Giamani out of Phuket, Thailand) and would like to complete an advanced cert and Nitrox course on the liveaboard. I have about 100 dives, including some 100ft+ ones, but am only SSI Open Water certified right now.

According to the Colona liveaboards site, you need Nitrox cert to even do the Advanced 35, so looks like I'll be going with Explorer 30.

It sounds like Explorer 30 is a lighter course that shares some material with Advanced 35, but the Advanced 35 requires an hour of confined water (pool?) training, while the Explorer doesn't.

Basically, I'd do the Advanced 35 if you're able. I'm only going Explorer 30 because it fits my trip schedule better, and maybe I'll do Advanced 35 later.

Would love anyone to chime in on how these two certs are viewed by different operators, though, especially in comparison to PADI and SSI advanced open water.

Personally, I've only had one operator scoff at my SSI Open Water (it was a boat out of Monterey, CA with a more technical group going that weekend), and everywhere else I've been (Hawaii, Australia, Belize, Roatan, Norcal and soCal), it hasn't been an issue with dive operators.

the main difference between the 2 levels is that the explorer 30 is much more like the padi advanced open water, in that it's an experience programme. The advanced 35 course is structured towards accumulative skill progression and thus designed to further the diver's ability.

I'm also interested in this question. Planning on joining a liveaboard cruise next year (the Giamani out of Phuket, Thailand) and would like to complete an advanced cert and Nitrox course on the liveaboard. I have about 100 dives, including some 100ft+ ones, but am only SSI Open Water certified right now.

According to the Colona liveaboards site, you need Nitrox cert to even do the Advanced 35, so looks like I'll be going with Explorer 30.

Would love anyone to chime in on how these two certs are viewed by different operators, though, especially in comparison to PADI and SSI advanced open water.

Personally, I've only had one operator scoff at my SSI Open Water (it was a boat out of Monterey, CA with a more technical group going that weekend), and everywhere else I've been (Hawaii, Australia, Belize, Roatan, Norcal and soCal), it hasn't been an issue with dive operators.

Please confirm with Colona that they are still a RAID liveaboard. This may have changed when the instructor trainer moved to Africa.

As for RAID certs, I have had no issue with anyone accepting them. While working at a dive center here I accepted 30 and 35 certs. A dive center does not compare the course you did with what they teach unless you are taking a course with them.

If you are just diving with them, all they care about is "are you certified to do the dives we are doing today" If a dive center scoffs at your cert or what organization it was through, I would avoid them.

the main difference between the 2 levels is that the explorer 30 is much more like the padi advanced open water, in that it's an experience programme. The advanced 35 course is structured towards accumulative skill progression and thus designed to further the diver's ability.

This is true but I think an easier comparison for the sake of comparison is PADI Adventure diver and Advanced. Adventure diver is parts of the Advanced course.

Now RAID does something I think should be required for all advanced courses.They require two deep dives rather than the one dive we typically see on a course.

Back
Top Bottom