Explore Baja Trip Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our LDS is going on the Rocio del Mar in early October for the Explore Baja dive trip encompassing the length of the Sea of Cortez. We are aware of water temperature changes as you head North...we're starting South. Can anyone who has done this trip or even just the North sites during the Fall provide any tips that we should be prepared for? Current? Are you aware of the upwellings and temperature drops before you jump in or do you just feel it after immersed? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions from any other learnings?
I know Bluewater Photo has been booking this trip as much as they can for a number of years (only three of these trips a year). If anyone from Bluewater reads this and has a few thoughts, I'd be thrilled.
Anyway, thanks in advance and good diving to you all.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Mike from Bluewater here! I just asked two of my friends how the conditions were, they were just down in the Sea of Cortez on the Rocio. They said temperatures were pretty variable. In the north there were some upwellings that dropped the temperature down to 71F at depth. There were also dives farther south that got up to 86 degrees F! They had great macro dives in the north, saw tons of whales from the boat, had great sea lion dives, and snorkeled with whale sharks (green water but great visibility)! There were a few strong current dives, but nothing crazy like Socorro.
Please feel free to shoot a direct message anytime with any questions you have!

-Mike

Thanks, Mike. I knew you guys would know the latest and greatest.

Rob

Great information from the BluewaterPhoto folks!

You'll probably encounter the greatest temperature drops in the area through the Midriff Islands (Bahia de los Angeles area) during the summer and into the fall months. Tidal flows are restricted by the islands and create upwellings of cold water from the deep water canyons between the islands. The Midriffs are home to a resident pod of fin whales. Whales seem to like those deep water canyons. I guess they call the channel on the western side of Isla Angel De La Gardia Canal de Las Ballenas for a reason.

Tidal exchanges also generate major current around the islands. The Rocio del Mar folks have lots of experience running trips around and through the Midriffs. They have the tidal current thing figured-out pretty well.

If you are snorkeling with whale sharks in the Bahia de los Angeles area, the sharks are usually in shallower areas of the bay. Shallower water typically means warmer water. Lots of snorkelers do the whale shark thing in swim suits.

Water temperatures in the extreme Northern Gulf of California (where you'll start in Puerto Penasco) in late summer through the fall months typically run in the 80s to low-90s. Below the Midriffs and their colder water, water temperatures increase again. It's not uncommon in the fall months to have water temperatures in the mid-80s in the San Carlos region.

-AZTinman

AZTinman: Thanks for the valuable information. I forwarded your post to our LDS trip leader and he will provide it as part of the overall "pre-trip" information to our group. Our trip actually leaves from Cabo on October 5th and heads North. We'll be advising folks to bring layers to handle the range of water temperatures we'll be experiencing.
Very much looking forward to this trip. Thanks again.

Rob

Oh, sorry... I thought you were going on one of Rocio del Mar relocate the boat trips. They relocate from Puerto Penasco to the southern tip of Baja for trips to the Revillagigedo Archipelago during the winter and spring. Personally, I wear a 3 mil suit during the summer and fall for diving most areas in the Sea of Cortez, but I add a 2 mil long sleeved jacket under the 3 mil for diving in the Midriffs (Bahia de los Angeles) area.

Enjoy the trip. The marine ecosystem in the Gulf of California is at extreme risk due to people who are only interested in making money.

-AZTinman

Oh, sorry... I thought you were going on one of Rocio del Mar relocate the boat trips. They relocate from Puerto Penasco to the southern tip of Baja for trips to the Revillagigedo Archipelago during the winter and spring. Personally, I wear a 3 mil suit during the summer and fall for diving most areas in the Sea of Cortez, but I add a 2 mil long sleeved jacket under the 3 mil for diving in the Midriffs (Bahia de los Angeles) area.

Enjoy the trip. The marine ecosystem in the Gulf of California is at extreme risk due to people who are only interested in making money.

-AZTinman

Thanks for the clarification. Rocio offers three Explore Baja trips each year from the end of September through October. Each is 13 days. First one starts North then heads South. Then South to North, then North to South. After that, it's Socorro. Thanks again for the exposure protection information.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom