Exploration Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Libya we have 2000 km of mostly unexplored coastline on the southern coast of the Mediterranean. We have lots of antiquities underwater some of them predate Roman times. The antiquities span all civilizations that existed in the Mediterranean. We have cities from ancient times that are either partially or entirely underwater. One city was discovered in 2010 in 7 meters underwater in western Libya only 200 meters from shore but has never been explored and documented. We have parts of coastal Phoenician ports undocumented underwater. We have wrecks that span all times from civilizations that predate the commonly known ones to WWI, WWII and modern wrecks. The diving activities here are extremely small and lack the infrastructure to be able to do any real exploration and documentation of the treasures we have in Libya. It didn't help that during Qaddafi's times it was illegal to own pleasure boats or even zodiacs and 4WD vehicles. It was such a repressive regime with very intense sense of control and ownership of the country and its resources and the people were simply insects that either served the regime or were obstacles in the path of his control of the country. No development or encouragement for progress at all.
why did you post this - now I cant sleep ! Just love exploring for me its like visiting an underwater museum, I really enjoy swimming through the rooms and corridors imagining people hustling an bustling back and forward on their cruse or conversly picturing sailors running up and down the decks manning guns and scooting up and down hatches .

why did you post this - now I cant sleep ! Just love exploring for me its like visiting an underwater museum, I really enjoy swimming through the rooms and corridors imagining people hustling an bustling back and forward on their cruse or conversly picturing sailors running up and down the decks manning guns and scooting up and down hatches .

I haven't mentioned the three missing wrecks from the British, German and Italian navies that sank together in a battle right off the Libyan coast. Nobody has found them yet.

I haven't mentioned the three missing wrecks from the British, German and Italian navies that sank together in a battle right off the Libyan coast. Nobody has found them yet.
200w.gif

The guys in the link are exploring the mediterranean area between north west Libya and Sicily; isn't it what you mentioned?

Most of the wrecks they found are from the Mediterranean battle, see here:
Battle of the Mediterranean - Wikipedia

There was a link in the post, you can click on it...

This operation isn't taking place in Libyan territorial waters.

This operation isn't taking place in Libyan territorial waters.

Are you here for the pleasure of saying "you're wrong" to other users?

As I said in my first post, NOW they stay only in Italian waters because of the political instability. I think they have been in Libya in the past, and even if they haven't, the battlefield is the same.

The link is there for those interested in it. If you are not, no problem :)

Diving where there is a high probability that no human has been before was a common motivation in the early days of the sport. Divers working to make a name for themselves in the recreational dive industry strove to become members of The Explorers Club. Many became professional underwater photographers.
  • Does the concept of exploration dives attract you?
  • Would you pay a liveaboard charter fee to be on an exploration project?
  • Have you been on any underwater exploration projects?
  • Any planned?
"Exploration" can be as little as searching for undiscovered dive sites to underwritten science or salvage projects. Let the sea stories begin.
I have some rough description of some unreported ancient wrecks that I hope to find via side scanning sonar (if available). Also just diving and cruising at depth on a rebreather and dive scooter at the reported depths.

Diving where there is a high probability that no human has been before was a common motivation in the early days of the sport. Divers working to make a name for themselves in the recreational dive industry strove to become members of The Explorers Club. Many became professional underwater photographers.
  • Any planned?
"Exploration" can be as little as searching for undiscovered dive sites to underwritten science or salvage projects. Let the sea stories begin.

A bit of background and thoughts - It was never a goal of mine to become a member of the Explorers Club. It was after many years and many trips to many remote places that I realized that I had done some shift and probably qualified. And I did. I don't understand why people would do exploration solely to join a club. Exploration should be a part of who you are, not a goal.

"Does the concept of exploration dives attract you?"
Always has..

"Would you pay a liveaboard charter fee to be on an exploration project?"
I have but I've also usually been the one that arranged the charter and shared equal costs with everyone else who came along. The times i didn't arrange for the charter it was a team effort and everyone shared all costs equally. If I'm paying someone else to subsidize their exploration then, no. I wouldn't.

"Have you been on any underwater exploration projects?"
Several

"Any planned?"
Always. Some come to fruition. Most don't.

Sure it does.

Too expensive. Besides, no boats fit where I want to go.

• Any planned?

Yeah. I have been: in a confined and muddy sump all alone and beyond all external help. Entrapment would have meant certain death (but risk was controlled as I have a healthy amount of fear). It was mentally challenging, though.

I have also been looking for new open water dive sites (no ceiling). Unfortunately, it has always resulted in me trying to find my way by feel. Those places will never become popular :(

Once I had to enter the water sideways as I was not able to bend my knees (but that time I had support). Dive site 5 feet down in the picture below.

Back
Top Bottom