Exploration Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I joined a scientific expedition to Bikar and Bokak atolls in the Northern Marshall Islands. Bokak is at least 250 miles from the nearest habitation and the fact that there is no anchorage at either atoll means they are visited extremely rarely. There may have been a handful of divers who dove these atolls but just about any dive site would be virgin. The walls are more than vertical and fish schools number in the tens of thousands of individuals. One site had a handful of giant Napolean wrasse and a hundred sharks as well as countless schools of fish. Easily my best reef dive ever and a taste of what reefs should be without human pressure. There was a short documentary film made, I'll see if i can find a link.

Thank you so much for sharing this! Super interesting, and gives us a view of what few have ever seen!

I planned and followed through with a dive expedition to Delgada Canyon submarine trench up in Humbolt County several years ago.
Do a search and you will see the typo map of the canyon, pretty radical to say the least!

https://images.app.goo.gl/CoAymKKHBnZ8WqLz8

There were four of us total. It was VERY remote and we had to trailer a boat to Shelter Cove then take the boat up the coast several miles to find the trench. I originally saw it on a old US Geological survey paper map and thought I just had to explore this place. Nobody to our knowledge had ever dived this particular spot. The rock walls that surrounded the canyon were pretty spectacular with giant dinner plate size scallops hanging off the rocks. We were expecting to see tons of big fish but instead found tons of very small fish, lingcod 2” long and everything seemed to be babies. We realized that this was probably a protected fish nursery and must have been a place where fish would go to drop their eggs. There were also a ton of spot shrimp all over the base mud bottom. It would have been theoretically possible to reach the trench from shore and be in 300’ of water only a few hundred yards from shore, but the problem was there was no shore access, it was a sheer cliff for 1000’ to the beach so boat access only. We did four dives over two days there. It was quite an experience to dive something like that.

Other than that, all the offshore pinnacles off of Mendocino County are all worth exploring. I’ve done my share just cruising along in my skiff watching the bottom sonar and noting any blip that showed up by marking it with GPS. Then at some point later we would go and dive those spots. There’s a lot of radical terrain out there with sheer walls that plunge down to 150’ or more just 50’ or 75’ away from an offshore wash rock. I’ve found huge cracks and swim throughs that are like big underwater cathedrals.
Colby Reef is on the map and not really an unknown spot, but due to the remoteness and lack of scuba support and divers up here I’ll bet it’s been years since anybody has dived on it.

If you want to know about remote spots that are gems to explore and dive, befriend an urchin diver and they might just tell you about a few spots including a few wrecks that almost nobody knows about.

Arena Rock in Mendocino County was probably one of the most spectacular places I’ve ever dived in my life bar none. But Arena Rock has been dived for many years by many people. It’s still hard to get to and even harder to plan a dive there because it’s pretty far offshore with very unstable conditions and currents. I lucked out every time I was there that it was calm and no current with great vis. Thank god for buoy reports and NOAA forcasts!

Thank god for buoy reports and NOAA forcasts!

NOAA is almost as unreliable as my barometer when it comes to waves!

However I've posted on the Great Lakes forum and Ontario's on several major discoveries our group has made.

New shipwreck discovery

URA discovery 2012

Discovery of the Hydrus

2 Lake Huron Shipwrecks Lost Since the 1800's Found, Identified.

New shipwreck discovery

Discovery of the Jane Miller-2017 Expedition Efforts Pt 1

Discovery of the Jane Miller-2017 Expedition Efforts Pt 2

• Does the concept of exploration dives attract you?
  • Would you pay a liveaboard charter fee to be on an exploration project?
  • Have you been on any underwater exploration projects?
  • Any planned?

1) Yes.
2) Depends. If a very unique opportunity, yes. Most likely scenario is I work my a$$ off for relatively free on a non-profit. I’ve done a lot of expeditionary type work for the past couple of decades so I could easily charge to run expedition-level planning, fundraising, team building and train up, logistical preparation, operations and documentation but I don’t want to start leaning on diving for how I earn my livelihood.
3) Not yet.
4) One, archaeological in nature.

Here in Libya we have 2000 km of mostly unexplored coastline on the southern coast of the Mediterranean. We have lots of antiquities underwater some of them predate Roman times. The antiquities span all civilizations that existed in the Mediterranean. We have cities from ancient times that are either partially or entirely underwater. One city was discovered in 2010 in 7 meters underwater in western Libya only 200 meters from shore but has never been explored and documented. We have parts of coastal Phoenician ports undocumented underwater. We have wrecks that span all times from civilizations that predate the commonly known ones to WWI, WWII and modern wrecks. The diving activities here are extremely small and lack the infrastructure to be able to do any real exploration and documentation of the treasures we have in Libya. It didn't help that during Qaddafi's times it was illegal to own pleasure boats or even zodiacs and 4WD vehicles. It was such a repressive regime with very intense sense of control and ownership of the country and its resources and the people were simply insects that either served the regime or were obstacles in the path of his control of the country. No development or encouragement for progress at all.

There is actually a team of divers exploring that area. Now it is a bit complicated due to the instability (migrants and all that stuff), so, being the expedition leaders italian, they prefer to stay close to Lampedusa. See for instance here.
I wanted to participate as a support diver, and I had some info. I agree with you, infrastructures were really minimal. Hope I can join next year, because this year in the end I couldn't.

EDDIT: the link is a bit weird, but use it - it works :)

To answer the OP questions:

The concept attracts me.
I would pay, depending on the project.
I tried to be a support diver, but I couldn't join in the end. I managed to e part of other scientific projects.
Plan to be part of an exploration project next year.

Really cool wrecks. Thanks for the summary of the findings. I was in Lake Huron (Presque Isle) a month ago and really enjoyed the diving there. Maybe I'll try to dive one or two on your list if I get back next year.

Let me know if you are ever out in Southern California and want to do some wreck diving here.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom