-Experimental- Pocket supports for Aqua Lung Fusion TECH AirCore version

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
WARNING: This is an Alpha version! I won't get to dive it for a couple of months still. Proceed at your own risk. Modification of the suit may void all or part of your warranty. You are gonna die ... Etc.

Background:

I have a newish Aqua Lung Aircore Fusion Tech drysuit. One of the complaints that I heard about this suit is the saggy pockets. I knew that in the Bullet version, there is a support system for the pockets, but I wanted the lighter and faster-drying Tech skin for the diving that I will be doing for now. Well, the Tech pockets really are pretty floppy ... At first I sort of shrugged because I wasn't planing to use the pockets since it was my only exposure suit with them, and I am trying for as much consistency in my rig as I can.

Anyway, I got one of the bad cores from the fiasco batch out of Mexico and the suit barely qualified as a semi-dry after 3 dives. So I'm waiting for my new core to come in and Deep 6 starts closing-out their 7mm wetsuits, which is a no-brainer-buy for me since my used 7/5mm is pretty crushed and torn and is more like diving a 5/3 at best. And that Deep 6 has NICE pockets. So now I'm thinking about starting to structure some of my stowage around pockets on my cold-water exposure suits. Shame the Tech's pockets are so saggy ...

Well, finally, my new core comes in and I'm wondering what those loops are on the outside of the core where the suspenders mount at the front. After asking around to confirm - my suspicions are correct that is where the pockets are supported on the Bullet version ...
2G5W41ZQFdulbgYF8d452brMh6mZsdDO032YM_SHtp1k-KG97g8pP_LCgdTlpIaGmCVIkxbAwqHnvh1QBa=w934-h1319-no.jpg

--- Lightbulb --- Well I should probably figure out some way to support the pockets with my Tech skin ...

Turns out, it is cheap and not too hard.

Materials:
(4) Small pieces of webbing for reinforcements
Aquaseal to glue the reinforcements in place

(2) 4-1/2" long pieces of 1/4"ID fuel hose
(2) 26" long pieces of 3/16" bungee cord
(2) Cord-locks for the bungee

Notes:
1) 1/8" bungee seems too stretchy to support it well. I tried.
2) The fuel hose spreads the load and the pocket.
3) I used these cord locks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5DC7OC
61pxnp76NkL._AC_SL1132_.jpg

My Process:

1) Separate the skin from the core and turn the skin inside out. I had everything apart for the core swap, so it was no big deal. You may get away with only opening the front skin-core zippers and inverting the legs to get access to the inside of the skin to work.

2) Cut the webbing up to make reinforcement patches, treat the edges to prevent fraying - being sure there are no sharp/abrasive areas, glue them to the top corners of the pocket area on the inside of the skin and let them dry.
zZzEvrlL4k2KGvd-0wC96Mohf6nn1MGVQvJZY6d0AQHtmP1elumpW8jgPwP6ODaXJGEUOwxu50Ni9AkGsT=w943-h1319-no.jpg

3) Put holes through the reinforcements and skin into the under-pocket void. I slipped a small, thin piece of plywood into the void under the pocket on the outside of the skin from the bottom. I then used an 1/8" hole punch to create the initial hole and then slightly enlarged and sealed the fibers with a soldering iron.
_6QbLTh9fabCkzZAh_ZMMYHzdqiST1DXZwNwaNGZz6bzN5yEQSVNcp7AQnqWrFTHmbekpLq_EObCYkdCP_=w1953-h782-no.jpg

4) Turn the skin right-side out (and reassemble onto the core if required) leaving the front skin-core zippers undone for access.

5) Poke the bungee from the inside of the skin into the under-pocket void through the hole closer to the center/front of the suit and pull it down to have working length.

6) Using a loop of small wire passed through the fuel hose, pass the bungee through the wire loop and fold over approx. 4 inches.
PCcfTQsVyqIy9UiYiVEterMvb11g_WV1fJaXqC-B1_1NlwJFszptK0U0Tz2ZEBtj83V90zyIknIHEeKOv=w1953-h1099-no.jpg

7) Pull the bungee through the fuel hose until there is a little loop of bungee at the other end.
g-yuUcxth7M7gIzlbHlxanCDQVOJV0p13FG8IfeF2BuWalEn6rkzPAY4Cb-PNGpg1BuYxfMwJm7ldNn_2=w1953-h1099-no.jpg

8) Pass the bungee end that is still inside the skin through the loop on the core and then through the into the under-pocket void through the hole closer to the side of the suit and pull it down to give yourself working length.
81amxkzGcneELJYIyMD8A_XlNk7uFN3i1JBVS4mw1TRR4j3-wfCxl-ZB6GjZlnmB9v1ln2qIpHS2UGtP4e=w960-h1319-no.jpg

9) Pass the end of the bungee through the loop on the end of the fuel hose and then secure through the cord lock.
kUHP_xyhI9vNlvpSO4DfIUVoHCiMlDLO3rWFb6IdthLg6bdsfTaDhlUdrgCTPtUU7JarVxAB7zpfO9K1LS=w743-h1319-no.jpg

10) Adjust as required. Might be easier with a helper for whom pocket groping is not an issue. :D

Update: initial (surface) pool test resulted in a pretty darn dry experience so quarry trials will be green-lighted.

No loading, but playing with the pockets during the test makes me think that the suspension mod will be a winner.

Thank for the post! I have a new Fusion Tech drysuit and had already purchased some materials to support the pockets before seeing your post. My plan is to do it similar to the Fusion Bullet. I have grommets to put in the upper corners of the pocket back wall. 4mm bungee will go in through a grommet, around the loop on the outside of the aircore and back out through the other grommet hole. A cord lock can be placed on the two cord ends inside the pocket so that the tension is adjustable while wearing the drysuit. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments you have. I can post some pics in a few days after the modification.

Thank for the post! I have a new Fusion Tech drysuit and had already purchased some materials to support the pockets before seeing your post. My plan is to do it similar to the Fusion Bullet. I have grommets to put in the upper corners of the pocket back wall. 4mm bungee will go in through a grommet, around the loop on the outside of the aircore and back out through the other grommet hole. A cord lock can be placed on the two cord ends inside the pocket so that the tension is adjustable while wearing the drysuit. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments you have. I can post some pics in a few days after the modification.

I can tell you that the cord locks that are standard with the Fusion are about worthless. Always came off easily. And I wasn’t trying to adjust while wearing the suit. I just tied the cords in a big knot inside the pocket and that works well. I will admit I’ve had nothing heavier in my pockets besides a 6ft SMB and attached spool.

I can tell you that the cord locks that are standard with the Fusion are about worthless
Thanks Marie13! I have some aftermarket cord locks supposedly with durable stainless steel springs. That claim will be tested. The hardware is the same 4mm bungee and cord locks I use for rock boot laces and should be durable. After looking at -JD-'s setup I am thinking about putting fuel hose across the cord inside the pocket as additional support. Planning for enough pocket support for an SMB in a pocket and maybe spare mask in the other. No plan to carry extra weight or anything crazy.
:crafty: :cheers:

@DarrynSami

Grommets would be great. Something that I do want to get a kit for ... I did mine with materials on hand so I went with the webbing reinforcement patches.

In my case, nothing comes into the pocket itself. The hose, bungee ends, and cordlock are all in the area between the pocket and the main body of the skin that is open at the bottom of the pocket on the outside. I refer to that as the "void" above. You might be able to invert that void to give you sufficient access to install grommets but I think it might be a 3+ hand operation.

The hose seems to do a good job of keeping the top of the pocket spread out and, since it is not in the pocket proper, I don't think it will impair access to the pocket.

Post up some pics and impressions once you are done. I imagine there are lots of ways to improve on my first WAG try.

Do you guys want a pic of how it comes with the pocket support thing already existing on the skin side?

Do you guys want a pic of how it comes with the pocket support thing already existing on the skin side?
Sure! (Kicking myself for not asking before when you answered my question about the Bullet pockets ...)

Sure! (Kicking myself for not asking before when you answered my question about the Bullet pockets ...)

You’re a guy. Asking for help doesn’t seem to come naturally. :rofl3:

Just kidding. :cuddles:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom