Experience with magnetic lense mounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I love them. I bought three sets along with a SABA double flip so I have enough pieces to mix and match whatever I need. I have two Inon UCL165 (I think?) and have threaded one onto the Saba so I can flip it down the other one has the magnet attachment. I stack them magnetically and have shot in any environment and they are rock solid, even a bit of a pull to get the top one off and back onto the flip. It sure beats storing one in a pocket or even on the arm. I found threading and unthreading at a moments notice was a danger to the lens threads and dropping the lens. I wish I could buy the halves separately - I find I need one mounted permanently and only the lens side...

Thanks for that. I will probably buy some before my next trip. They sell the pieces individually too.

I have used a magnetic mount with my Meikon dome and housing. It's very convenient and mostly reliable. But, after the time that I climbed the ladder back onto the boat and the mate came to me a minute or two later and handed me my dome, which he'd spotted floating in the water, I put a leash on that rascal.

I like the mag mount because my dome needs water between it and the housing to work. So, the start of a dive means taking it off to let all the air out, then putting it back on. The mag mount is great for that. But, it's not a positive physical lock. It CAN break away, even with the tabs that you twist to be under matching flanges. Those help, but they are not foolproof. At least, they're not proof against THIS fool....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom