Experience and Thoughs on a BAHA Cruisers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just got back from the boat show in NYC.

Last year I put off buying a boat wanting more time to see what I really looking for and not too mention the most bang for the buck.

Im looking for a 23'-25' wide open deck which will enable me to put 8 scuba tanks between port and starboard . With a Tuna door, outboard 250hp, cuddy cabin, enclosed cockpit.

so i started looking at the parkers, but you can't get a tuna door and the cabins are very tight for the 25'.

we came across a 25' Baha Crusiser. the sales man spoke alot about the Gel coat that wont fad or blister and so on..also how the haul is one of the best..all that salesman talk. he also said it was ABYC approved...to me it meant Nothing...

but im sure there are some people here that can help me..

For what I am looking for, this boat has it.But I want more input.

so i wanted to talk price...let me first tell you what i wanted then the price.

http://www.bahacruisers.com/baha-cruisers-boats/251-GLE-boat.htm

Low profile anchor witch,
Raymon C-120 total package
Full Tuna Door,swimplate form, dive ladder, handrails
double axle trailer, with breaks,
outriggers and spot lights
2 batteries
coast guard package
260HP I/O
8 scuba tank rack
among all those other things...

starting price was 49,995.

finish Price was 56,000k

now compared to other boats with all the things i wanted

I wont mention what other boat but it was more then 80K

so my question is will this boat hold its retail value, is there a catch? Is there anythings else I need to add to make this a better diving and fishing boat?

thanks for your help

seaboyforever:
I just got back from the boat show in NYC.

Last year I put off buying a boat wanting more time to see what I really looking for and not too mention the most bang for the buck.

Im looking for a 23'-25' wide open deck which will enable me to put 8 scuba tanks between port and starboard . With a Tuna door, outboard 250hp, cuddy cabin, enclosed cockpit.

so i started looking at the parkers, but you can't get a tuna door and the cabins are very tight for the 25'.

we came across a 25' Baha Crusiser. the sales man spoke alot about the Gel coat that wont fad or blister and so on..also how the haul is one of the best..all that salesman talk. he also said it was ABYC approved...to me it meant Nothing...

but im sure there are some people here that can help me..

For what I am looking for, this boat has it.But I want more input.

so i wanted to talk price...let me first tell you what i wanted then the price.

http://www.bahacruisers.com/baha-cruisers-boats/251-GLE-boat.htm

Low profile anchor witch,
Raymon C-120 total package
Full Tuna Door,swimplate form, dive ladder, handrails
double axle trailer, with breaks,
outriggers and spot lights
2 batteries
coast guard package
260HP I/O
8 scuba tank rack
among all those other things...

starting price was 49,995.

finish Price was 56,000k

now compared to other boats with all the things i wanted

I wont mention what other boat but it was more then 80K

so my question is will this boat hold its retail value, is there a catch? Is there anythings else I need to add to make this a better diving and fishing boat?

thanks for your help

Two things to comment on - where are you diving with it? If you are thinking off shore NJ, the answer is too small unless you have a REALLY flexible schedule to go when the weather is ideal.

Hold retail value? simple answer - NO

Look online for used boats - you'll be lucky to sell it for 50-60%, especially if you dive from it - dive gear and operations beats the crud out of boats.

I am looking to go off the North and South Shore of Long Island.
So a 25' is too small to hit the canyons on a good day?

I agree dive gear does beat the crap out of boats.

but is the Name Baha a good company?

Ive never heard of Baha but that means little. The most bang for the buck is a boat 2-4 years old. Most have little use and most of the extras are there. For offshore use, think full deep V such as a Radon or a twin hull such as "Twin Vee". Most sport boats just don't have what it takes offshore. 25 foot is a small boat for offshore use and I certanly would not go smaller than that if you can avoid it.
OK, I looked at that boat. It dosnt look half bad, full deep V. It's strongest point is it mid engine. I/Os usualy have the engine stuffed aganst the stern and it tends to make them real stern heavy mandating the use of trim tabs. mids keep the center of gravity, well, in the center. See if you can find one on the used boat sites and save yourself 10-20K.

No, Baha is not a name that is known for quality, IMO.

Wel, I looked the website over, off hand it does not look like a bad boat. I like the OB or inboard version, skip on the I/O. Go to www.hulltruth.com and ask around there. You will likely find more people who have knowledge of this brand and can give you solid opinions on tit. Good luck. N

edit, I think the Baha name I was remembering is NOT the boat company in question.

If shallow water (3 feet or less) operation is not a consideration go with the straight inboard, it will handle a sea like 30 footer but will less manuverable in docking situations but it just takes some pratice. Like others said, if you can find a good used one you can save big dollars but you have to know what you are looking at when it comes to used boats. Spending $300 or $ 400 on a survey may be a worthwhile investment if you don't know. Looking at their web site it seems like a fairly well built boat, I like it.

The size boat you are looking at is fine. It all boils down to weather, equipment, and your comfort level. Never go on the ocean with weather data older than 4hours and monitor it when you're out there. I dive off Block Island in my 19' cuddy cabin with three divers in doubles and 80cf deco bottles.

I have never personally heard of Baha but the description of features looks pretty good.

--Matt

After touring the boat show and reading up more on the Make of Baha. I think with what I have in mind, which is doing alot of diving in mind...I should be looking for a used boat.So in the mean time i will be using my 13' Avon for diving.

i'll keep you guys posted...

If you want to learn about what to look for in an offshore boat, especially used, check out this site: http://www.yachtsurvey.com. Also do some searching on http://www.boattrader.com. For the price range of $50-$60K, you can find a high quality used boat with most everything you need in the 25'-27' size. Getting much over 25' though calls for some serious towing capacity. You might look at Grady White, Pursuit, Mako, Sailfish, Stamas - all good quality, but no matter what, have a survey done or at least have it looked over thoroughly by someone who knows boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom