Expected service life for point and shoot housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nutterbutter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got an older Canon housing for a Canon powershot point and shoot camera. It has a lot of buttons. I can easily clean and lubricate the main o-ring, but can't do much for all the little buttons. They don't appear to be serviceable.

Is there an expected service life for the seal on all those buttons on the housing?

Most housing have a little c-clip that retains the button and spring in the housing with a tiny o-ring providing the seal. These should all be possible to remove, change the o-ring, and replace. You might need more c-clips if they get bent. It's the o-rings that are going to wear out the most and what usually gets replace in a service operation. Service life it going to depend on use, storage, and ongoing cleaning and maintenance. If it's been more than 3 years and several hundred dives you might need to service it proactively. If the buttons are leaking or getting hard to use, do it now.

Many of the OEM housings are not designed to be serviceable and may be difficult to find parts for or use odd sized O-rings which are hard to find.

when you say they don't appear to be serviceable, what do you base this upon? I would suggest trying the housing out without the camera, hold it under water to confirm if there are any leaks. If there are any leaks you may find it difficult to deal with. Refer to this link reagrading service of OEM UW housings: Welcome to Underwater Housing Servicing - Home of INON, Isotta, Subal, Fantasea, Nauticam, Pelican Products and many more great products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom