Expect No Refunds from Express Air (Xpress Air)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a wonderful time in Raja Ampat and was very glad I went despite limited time (see this thread).

I did want to share a cautionary/funny story about Express Air, though. Bottom line: do not expect a refund for a flight you don't actually take.

I wound up with 2 tickets from Sorong-Jakarta on different carriers. The reason was the better flight (same day on Garuda) had such a tight ferry connection I doubted I could make it, but I did. So I did not use the Express Air direct flight the next day.

In Sorong, the Express Air office was closed, as it was also in Makassar and Jakarta when I arrived at 8 pm. I was informed that the office would open at 10 pm, so I waited. Then I was told they could not issue a refund at the capital city's international airport, that I'd have to go to head office in Jakarta. In the meantime I had to haggle to have them record that I attempted a refund before the flight, so that I was entitled to 25% refund rather than 10%! Still since it was a $300+ ticket, that was $100.

The next weekday, I did so, only to be told that a refund for a ticket I paid for cash, would take 2 months to issue. I said I was only in Indonesia a few more days. They said come back a 3 pm. Mind you, this is Jakarta, so a round trip to any point is practically a half day journey, and I had no time to make it back that day.

The next day I brought along a friend who happened to be a vaguely positioned "Vice Chief" of a somewhat intimidating paramilitary/mafia organization called the Sons of and Daughters of Armed Forces Pensioners. He happened to have his camouflage jacket with him and he wore it in. This time we were told the cashier had stepped out of the office for an indeterminate amount of time. But with a bit of a shakedown we got the 1.2 million rupiah back within an hour at least.

Heck, they could start with the luggage carters before you even get in to the airport. Or help clear a path in the international departures.

Can he get me the infamous LionAir loyalty card ?

After numerous tries and probably more than 20 flights with them, either I never had the correct papers or the office cannot deliver it or the system is down or the person in charge stepped out from the office/attends a meeting/is sleeping home (...while it's usually it's 3PM).

Can he get me the infamous LionAir loyalty card ? After numerous tries and probably more than 20 flights with them, either I never had the correct papers or the office cannot deliver it or the system is down or the person in charge stepped out from the office/attends a meeting/is sleeping home (...while it's usually it's 3PM).

After more than 20 flights with Lion Air you're statistically very lucky to be alive so I wouldn't worry about the loyalty card if I were you!

Lion Air seem to be pretty amazingly bad at this too. You change a flight online and get an email your flight will be refunded or a % of, it never arrives in your bank account..every time I have had a try at getting some customer service at Lion Airs airport offices Im directed to Jakarta or Denpassar offices which I tried once...after having the door slammed shut and being yelled that the office was closed (but your door is open?) every time ive tried im curious...has anyone ever gotten a refund from Lion Air successfully?...even the email that says your refund will be processed and deposited in your account doesnt seem to be recognised by lion air staff anywhere. I think I need the guy with the camo jacket.

One time we had a trip that was cancelled for one of us. Believe it or not we got a small refund from Lion Air. Our travel agent did all of the leg work and the refund came through the agent. I can not remember the exact amount, but it was about a 50% refund from the original price.

photos

got some photos of the "encounter" off my camera.

staff of express air being sweated (felt sorry for them actually, if you're reading this, guys, nothing personal lol):

IMG_5261.jpg IMG_5263.jpg

after successful operation:

IMG_5264.jpg

It's been my experience that although it costs a little more to book flights through a reliable agent, it is very often well worth the extra price. I think of using an agent as insurance.

I organize dive trips in Indonesia and have been dealing with the airlines there since 1994. Too many times a diver had to change or cancel a flight - or the airline changed the schedule or cancelled the flight. I've been lucky to use 3 agents, different ones over the years, who were all proactive and able to rescue the trip / substitute a flight when necessary / change an itinerary / get a refund (according to the conditions of the ticket). Sometimes this needs to be done while we are in the middle of Raja Ampat on a liveaboard.

Last year I allowed an agent to book a diver onto one of my special charter trips. (I very rarely will do that.) The diver needed to cancel his flights. He asked HIS agent to cancel them - as they were booked by HIS agent, and refund what was possible. HIS agent told the diver that no refund from the airline was possible.

I knew that was not correct. So I asked MY agent, the one I use for my groups and myself, to try to get the refund for the diver from the other agent's booking and she did! It wasn't even much trouble, but did take about 2 months to actually get the money from the airline. I assume the diver's agent was either going to pocket the refund - or thought it was just too much trouble to process and not worth the agent's time to process.

A good agent will also know the pitfalls of different airlines and different routes and help to avoid them. Those pitfalls change frequently - as in every quarter or more often! I always steer divers who book on my trips to an itinerary I know will be least risk, least expensive. I've seen and needed to deal with the problems people without extensive recent knowledge make for themselves by booking their own flights.

It also helps to have the local dive operator go to the airport and deal with check-in in the "smaller" places.

Back
Top Bottom