exostosis & otitis externa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judyo1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
I've posted here before about recurrent otitis externa and got some helpful ideas...
However, am just back from a diving holiday with a rip-roaring otitis externa. I'm not using vosol as a preventor currently as it irritates my ears. I do have the 'ear dryer' and use that. I also use almond oil with hydrocortisone drops. Also 'ear shield' when diving. I wear a hood.
Toward the end of my holiday my ears were a little sore (outer ear) so started sofradex. Over the 24 hours of travelling home right ear became very sore.
Very sore, using paracetamol, neurofen and codiene. Associated lymphadenopathy.
Saw GP who gave me ciprofloxacin ear drops plus oral. (asked GP to 'nuke it' as planning on diving again in a few weeks). GP commented on exostosis of ear (not been commented on previously). Swab pending.
Still very sore so threw myself at the mercy of a friendly ENT registrar (I am a doctor working this weekend..) who microsuctioned ears, said both infected but noted exostosis of right ear. Neither he nor GP could visualise ear drum. He suggested seeing ENT surgeon to discuss getting exostosis removed as an elective procedure.

Question is really regarding any knowledgable opinions re getting exostosis removed and consequence that would have on future diving and would it be impacting on the recurrent otitis externa? My google search suggests exostosis more related to cold water and I have been doing more cold water diving recently.
I will see an ENT surgeon regardless (ie not just use scubaboard for medical advice) but have often found non diving doctors have limited appreciation / knowledge of issues specific to diving....

Thanks

Tagging our resident ENT @doctormike .

Best regards,
DDM

I've got minor exostosis from years of windsurfing, some of it requiring drysuits. When I took up diving (local cold water) I noticed my ears would not feel quite right after a dive and I KNOW POSITIVELY I'm clearing just fine. Tracked it down to minor annoyance of the exostosis. Try Doc's Pro Plugs. Works wonders. Just keep the water OUT and it will improve dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom