Exhaling through my nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keralucu

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just came back from my second dive trip (now up to 10 dives which is very exciting for me) but I had a real problem this time with my breathing. I found that I kept exhaling through my nose which of course causes bubbles to escape from the mask. I don't know why this was happening as in my first dives my breathing was fine. I seemed to use up a lot more air doing this too and the whole thing irritated the hell out of me. I would start off breathing normally, in and out of the regulator, but then if I had to adjust my mask, affecting the pressure in the airspace, I would then start breathing out through my nose and found myself unable to stop unless I concentrated really hard on it, which meant I wasn't seeing as much as I wanted to. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so any tips on how to correct it? My dive master told me that there wasn't a problem occasionally breathing out thru the nose but to do it all the time does use up more air which definitely happened. Help please!

Thanks.. :(

Alison,

You are using lots of air because you are still very new to diving. When I first began diving, I had TERRIBLE air consumption. As I gained experience, my air consumption improved dramatically. The amount of air you use has nothing to do with if you exhale through your nose or mouth. Breathe slowly and deeply. Exhaling through your nose can't hurt and it will help prevent mask squeeze.

WWW™

http://www... I was just hoping for a tip on how to stop doing it because it really annoys me. It also fogs my mask a little too. I guess it will just take a lot of practice. Of course you're right about using so much air because I'm new.... I am so jealous of my cousin - she only used 90 bar on a 56 minute multi-level dive as compared to me using 130! She only needed one tank for two dives - grrrr. I'll get there eventually, I know. :) Next diving won't be for another two months at least... but I'm practicing in my head all the time!

Thanks for your support.

....sorry Walter - didn't realise your handle would automatically turn into a URL.... I was wondering why the TM after it!

:p

Alison,

To learn the story behind WWW™ go to http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=788

At the bottom of the page when you post a reply, there's a box checked that says "Automatically parse URLs:" Un check that when you use "www" I think it will help.

If your mask fogs up you need to change how you clean it. Get some dishwashing liquid and put a drop in each lens. Rub it around all over the lens. I know you are not diving for two months, but go do it now. Repeat the process the night before you go diving the next day. Always do this at least the day before you go diving. This should eliminate your fogging troubles - assuming you scrubbed your mask originally with soft scrub or tooth paste when it was new.

If exhaling through your nose annoys you, then you need to practice exhaling through your mouth. Concentrate on what you are doing constantly. Practice will make it automatic.

HTH,

WWW™

I exhale through my nose all of the time and I have found that it has actually slowed breathing rate alot. and here's my proof, my ave time on a standard 80 went from 45min to 65min. The only thing that I did different was exhale through my nose. It might prove benificial to not let annoy you.

I'm actually more comfortable exhaling thru my nose. The only problem is that I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo for defog, and if I use too much I start blowing bubbles in my mask!! Smells good, though...

LOL guys.... THanks! I didn't think I'd get so many helpful replies...

WWW - ta for the dishwashing liquid tip... Will go home and do that tonight and again before my next dive and let you know the result. Yes, I did scrub with toothpaste extra hard...on the SECOND day because I hadn't done it enough for the first usage and was fogging up the whole time (no wonder I never saw the whale shark!)

DD & EZG - I think what irritates me is the noise it makes... (can't explain this) or maybe the fact that I THOUGHT I was doing something wrong. Gonna try to NOT do it, but feel better knowing it does work for some people. The idea of blowing sudsy bubbles made me giggle, anyway... :p

Cheers

...........Moo also uses dish soap on his mask. He never rinses it completely, so as we are getting ready to hop in we can see the bubbles blowing out of his purge valve. Sometimes the DM can't finish the briefing because he's laughing at Moo.

WWW™

nt

Back
Top Bottom