Exernal WOB Scores Apeks ATX100/200...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLeod

Reaction score
Dose anyone know what the External WOB performance scores are for the Apeks ATX100 and ATX200...or know where I could find them to compare to the ones published by Zeagle for their Flathead6/ZX (namely:0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet, 62.5 RMV)?

Thank you very much!!

MacLeod:
Dose anyone know what the External WOB performance scores are for the Apeks ATX100 and ATX200...or know where I could find them to compare to the ones published by Zeagle for their Flathead6/ZX (namely:0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet, 62.5 RMV)?

Thank you very much!!

Try www.scubadiving.com, they often include WOB charts from earlier testing. I worked for them for a period of time as the Science Editor. Independent testing, along with US Navy tests, clearly demonstrate that a person can't differentiate overall WOB unless there is at least a 0.4 j/l difference. Any reg that can deliver scores at or below 1.4 j/l at 198' with 62.5 RMV is way more than enough...I can tell you with certainty that every regulator currently made by Apeks meets or exceeds this level.

Greg Barlow

Greg Barlow:
Try www.scubadiving.com, they often include WOB charts from earlier testing. I worked for them for a period of time as the Science Editor. Independent testing, along with US Navy tests, clearly demonstrate that a person can't differentiate overall WOB unless there is at least a 0.4 j/l difference. Any reg that can deliver scores at or below 1.4 j/l at 198' with 62.5 RMV is way more than enough...I can tell you with certainty that every regulator currently made by Apeks meets or exceeds this level.

Greg Barlow

Thank you Greg!

Greg, having worked there, do you have any thoughts, insights, memories or experiences with these three regs...namely the Zeagle Flathead6/ZX, Apeks ATX100 and ATX200...that you could maybe express your favorite?

Thank you for your help Greg!

Best regards,
Rick

MacLeod:
Thank you Greg!

Greg, having worked there, do you have any thoughts, insights, memories or experiences with these three regs...namely the Zeagle Flathead6/ZX, Apeks ATX100 and ATX200...that you could maybe express your favorite?

Thank you for your help Greg!

Best regards,
Rick

Rick,

As far as favorites...I use Mares and Apeks regs. Zeagle's regs are also excellent products. My reasoning for using the Mares and Apeks brands is that I am able to obtain parts to service all of my own equipment. The Zeagle regs are based on the same mechanical design as those of the Apeks line. Zeagle has been manufacturing their own models since the AquaLung group obtained Apeks. Zeagle's engineers made some changes in the first and second stages, one of which is a replaceable HP orifice in the entire line.

The three models that you named are all going to give you very similar breathing performance, and are among the finest regs that are available. My suggestion would be to purchase the brand that you can get serviced from a reputable source.

I personally use an Apeks DS4/TX50 for a long hose single tank rig. As you probably have learned from your research, this is a larger second stage than what you are considering. I actually prefer it due to what I perceive as better bubble dispersion over that of a smaller exhaust tee. The size of a second stage is very much advertising hype. The buoyancy characteristics of the second stage is what really matters.

I also use the following Mares regs: MR12 Akros, MR12 Proton, V16 Proton, MR12 Axis, and MR16 Akros. The MR12 Akros regs are used on my doubles. The MR12 Proton, and MR/V16 models are used for single tank dives. The MR12 Axis regs are used for stage/deco bottles. All of the Mares regs have provided excellent service. The HP poppet life on the MR12s is somewhat inconsistent though. I've had some that last more than 150 dives, while some examples need replaced after 50 or so. I consistently monitor the intermediate pressure on all the regs, which indicates when the seating surface is beginning to leak. The latest Mares versions are reportedly design to last a minimum of 100 dives, only time will tell. When they do need replacing it is rather obvious as there is a slow, steady leak from the second stage. The Mares SCS system as used on the 16, 22, and 32 is excellent. They offer better sealing characteristics, and often last upwards of 200 dives between replacement.

Back to Zeagle....If I were in your shoes I would buy the one you really like. There are no red flags on either Apeks or Zeagle. Zeagles would be tougher to service outside of the North American continent, so if you regularly dive in locales around the world this may be a point to ponder.

Greg Barlow

Greg Barlow:
Rick,

As far as favorites...I use Mares and Apeks regs. Zeagle's regs are also excellent products. My reasoning for using the Mares and Apeks brands is that I am able to obtain parts to service all of my own equipment. The Zeagle regs are based on the same mechanical design as those of the Apeks line. Zeagle has been manufacturing their own models since the AquaLung group obtained Apeks. Zeagle's engineers made some changes in the first and second stages, one of which is a replaceable HP orifice in the entire line.

The three models that you named are all going to give you very similar breathing performance, and are among the finest regs that are available. My suggestion would be to purchase the brand that you can get serviced from a reputable source.

Back to Zeagle....If I were in your shoes I would buy the one you really like. There are no red flags on either Apeks or Zeagle. Zeagles would be tougher to service outside of the North American continent, so if you regularly dive in locales around the world this may be a point to ponder.

Greg Barlow

Thank you VERY much Greg for your reply!

I have been giving this some thought and I find advantages to each of the three regs (Apeks ATX100, 200 and Zeagle FH6/ZX). I currently have a 1998/9? Zeagle FH6 (aka Apeks FH6) and Apeks DS4-TX40/ATX50. I too like to service my own regs and so far have been able to get parts, so for the time being, that does not seem to be as much of an issue.

With the Apeks I wonder if the extra money for the ATX200 over the ATX100 is worth it. The primary advantage I can see is that the ATX200 has a removable ARCAP valve seat...how much of an advantange do you see in this? I do find the inverted nature of ATX200 a little odd (enviromental seal on top)...while certainly minor, it does seem like it would be slightly more vulnerable to tearing if climbing through wrecks or small places (although granted not much of an issue even if it should tear). Do you see any advantage to the ATX100 other than price?

The Zeagle on the other hand...as you say above, is essentially an Apeks design, but modified. Its posted External WOB score seems pretty good at 0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet. I still have not been able to find the numbers for the Apeks regs. You mentioned something about a replaceable HP orifice...I was not aware of this. Do you find Zeagle's changes/ modifications have made for improvement over the Apeks in any way?

One thing, Zeagle does seem a little more flexible and approachable in terms of dealing with warranty issues and even general service (perhaps bkx they are a smaller, family run company). While I have never had to send a reg back to them, I have spoken with several people there in the past about service issues and they always seemed accomodating (which is not to say Aqualung would not be too...I just have not had cause to call them about similar issues).

Greg, of the three regs...assuming everything else is equal (parts and service availability, etc.), based on design, performance, durability/"ruggedness"...would you have a favorite?

Thank you very much again for your help Greg...I really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Rick

MacLeod:
Thank you VERY much Greg for your reply!

I have been giving this some thought and I find advantages to each of the three regs (Apeks ATX100, 200 and Zeagle FH6/ZX). I currently have a 1998/9? Zeagle FH6 (aka Apeks FH6) and Apeks DS4-TX40/ATX50. I too like to service my own regs and so far have been able to get parts, so for the time being, that does not seem to be as much of an issue.

With the Apeks I wonder if the extra money for the ATX200 over the ATX100 is worth it. The primary advantage I can see is that the ATX200 has a removable ARCAP valve seat...how much of an advantange do you see in this? I do find the inverted nature of ATX200 a little odd (enviromental seal on top)...while certainly minor, it does seem like it would be slightly more vulnerable to tearing if climbing through wrecks or small places (although granted not much of an issue even if it should tear). Do you see any advantage to the ATX100 other than price?

The Zeagle on the other hand...as you say above, is essentially an Apeks design, but modified. Its posted External WOB score seems pretty good at 0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet. I still have not been able to find the numbers for the Apeks regs. You mentioned something about a replaceable HP orifice...I was not aware of this. Do you find Zeagle's changes/ modifications have made for improvement over the Apeks in any way?

One thing, Zeagle does seem a little more flexible and approachable in terms of dealing with warranty issues and even general service (perhaps bkx they are a smaller, family run company). While I have never had to send a reg back to them, I have spoken with several people there in the past about service issues and they always seemed accomodating (which is not to say Aqualung would not be too...I just have not had cause to call them about similar issues).

Greg, of the three regs...assuming everything else is equal (parts and service availability, etc.), based on design, performance, durability/"ruggedness"...would you have a favorite?

Thank you very much again for your help Greg...I really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Rick

Rick,

Too close to call, but I doubt if I would pay the extra amount for the Apeks 200 over the 100. I really don't believe there is enough difference for the cash. One plus to getting another Apeks is that you already own a couple of them. You would only need to stock one type of kit for each stage, as all Apeks regs are serviced with the same rebuild kits. With that said....If I were able to obtain Zeagle parts, then I would be more than happy to purchase one to use and form a first-hand opinion. I've been impressed with what I've seen of their regs.

Greg Barlow

http://www.aquanaut.com.au/images/Downloads/DiversGuide/04_aquaguide-regs.pdf

The last page of this PDF from aquanaut.com.au has some WOB numbers for Apeks regs but conveniently doesn't say which model (though my LDS tells me the Apeks regs internally are functionally identical). 0.90 j/l @ 50m, 1.03 j/l @ 80m. There is also a chart that shows 1.05 j/l @ 70m, but again who knows which reg this is really for.

Thank you very much Greg and StSomewhere for your help...I really appreciate your taking the time to help with this.

I really like my Apeks regs but I can find positives in both companies (Apeks and Zeagle) and, like a pendulum, find myself leaning in one directions one moment and another the next. From a conversation I had with somone earlier that has both regs...he seemed to feel that Zeagle had "improved" upon the Apeks design.

Currently I am curious about the Zeagle FH6/ZX and, now that parts are not a problem...think I am leaning in this direction. I'll give it a couple more days...

Back
Top Bottom