Exercises to improve frog kicks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do some free weights, but spend more time on machines. That's a given for now, so please don't knock the machines. My frog kick has become stronger and more natural over the last few years, but I'm curious if there are things I can add to my routine to specifically add strength and coordination to my frog kicks.

What I've done thus far:
-> yoga to help open my way-too-tight hips
-> glutes (even if it doesn't help with the kicks, I'll get a cuter butt :wink:
-> hip adducts and abducts
-> others?

Thanks for your insight and advice.
Don

I do hip stretching exercises. Because frog kicks don't need tree-trunk thigh muscles, in my experience, they just need to be steady, and relaxed.
But now that I think of it, trying to back up using the reverse frog kick uses muscles unaccustomed to exercise. I had some physical therapy a while ago, that the therapist gave me these large spandex bands that go over knees to stretch apart, so that it strengthens muscles on the outside of the legs. I may have to dig those bands out and try practicing that while watching tv, and see if that helps my ability to back away in water, without using any arm/hand movements.

Careful attention to form and your body if drilling frog kicks in a pool. Don't expect to get anywhere near the propulsion you get from a flutter kick. Start with bare feet and work up to fins after you have your head wrapped around the kick. I've just learned the hard way to exercise caution again after my 400m of frog kick drills spiked some sciatic issues for the next 4 days.

I do some free weights, but spend more time on machines. That's a given for now, so please don't knock the machines. My frog kick has become stronger and more natural over the last few years, but I'm curious if there are things I can add to my routine to specifically add strength and coordination to my frog kicks.

What I've done thus far:
-> yoga to help open my way-too-tight hips
-> glutes (even if it doesn't help with the kicks, I'll get a cuter butt :wink:
-> hip adducts and abducts
-> others?

Thanks for your insight and advice.
Don
I think that's a solid start!

Lap swim using the frog kick

I prefer to frog kick. The exercises you have listed definitely help. I would also recommend strengthening your core & stabilizing muscles (think about what it takes to balance on one leg / stabilize the weight bearing leg).

Back
Top Bottom