EWA-Marine housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merlock

Reaction score
Seems too good to be true that I can get a flexible housing for my Fuji S602 that is rated to 100' for $250.

Do any of you have experience with the EWA-marine housings? If so, can you give me some of your general impressions?

Thanks

My first impression is I'm not going to put any electronic device in a heavy ziplock bag and take it underwater! :) Beside the leakage issuses, I've heard that there's no protection against the pressure involved. Buttons get pushed and such.

If there's absolutely no housing available and buying another camera with housing is totally out of the question, and if you're willing to ruin the camera if the bag doesn't live up to the claims, then I say go ahead and try it.

Be sure to report your results!

Hello,

AHHH yes the 'body bag' There was another thread on this where theavatar posted his experience with the bag.

Ed

I bought a big EWA marine SLR deep bag... I used $1500 worth of 35mm SLR gear in it at times... It worked quite well for the price... I'm sure it wasnt as nice as a real housing although it was a lot easier to rig up and maintain. I used it in the blue hole in belize down to about 147ft. The bag took about 30 dives... on that last one I noticed some small bubbles coming out of the bag at around 110ft.

Now, unlike rigid housings, the ocean will squeeze the air out of the bag decreasing its volume before it will begin to actuall fill the bag with water. The bag has a one way blow valve on it so you can inflate it yourself at depth. This meant I continued my dive for 5 more minutes before I surfaced slowly, taking a safety stop, and even though it had been leaking air for some 15 minutes no water got into the bag. EWA replaced the bag for free.

If given a choice between an EWA bag and a real housing, I'd of course choose the real housing because of the easier controls, especially if i had a digicam with hard to use controls, but I was on a budget.

The most annoying part of the EWA bag is caused by the same thing that makes it really really hard to flood: the variable volume. The EWA bag is a bouyancy PAIN IN THE ASS! It's not unmanagable, but it is annoying. If you have the money, get a real housing designed for your gear. If you don't have the money, get an EWA bag.

Back
Top Bottom