Everything Photo - dslr, 4/3s, compacts, tips :Look here first! updated 03 Sept '13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This thread is for all of those initial questions that we have when we start something new. It's not comprehensive, but should give a good starting place.

These tips are useful no matter which camera manufacturer you choose. Some of the pointers may or may not be relevant to your particular model, so getting to know your camera is an important first step before hitting the water.

This assumes that your diving skills are excellent before you get in with a camera. If your diving skills are rusty or if you have just started diving, the very best thing you can do for your photography is to get in the water and get your buoyancy and other skills down pat. THEN add a camera.

When am I ready to start taking photographs underwater?
A thread filled with suggestions, ideas, guidelines and encouragement is here :)

Which settings should I begin with?

First, head for manual mode and learn how to use it. Manual mode is one of those criteria that is very important to look for in a new camera if you think you might want to grow with your photography without having to buy another camera in the not so distant future. Models without manual mode can still produce some nice images, however, they have severe limitations and will not grow with you. They may be perfect for the type of diving and photography you wish to do and there are several good models out there right now.

"Underwater" settings or modes These are essentially auto modes where the camera has already made decisions for you and have become a very popular feature on compact cameras.

Underwater modes will usually do one of these things or a combination of them:
-set a wide open aperture causing blue images that may look soft
-increase the ISO. This creates more noise, especially in your blues.
-set a slow shutter potentially causing camera shake or motion blur (remember, everything is in motion underwater!). This can also cause wimpy blue backgrounds that may even look greyish.
-render the jpegs with more "red" to compensate for being underwater. In theory this is a great thing. In practice, it works sometimes. Other times it looks a bit "off" and/or can show up as a noisier image.

It is important to realise how shutter, aperture and ISO work together to create the image you want - it isn't that hard and will rapidly increase the rate of keepers you get. A little effort to start is much easier than unlearning habits and/or blowing shots coz your camera decided for you. You'll need to play around with UW modes to see how they work for you.

Shutter Speed
These are guidelines only and hopefully this will get you in the ballpark. All settings are based on relatively bright conditions. For those diving in the PNW and darker waters you will need to adjust to allow more light in.

Set your shutter speed for 1/125 or so. A fast shutter will help freeze action and you shouldn't get too much blur. Dropping below 1/80 is begging for motion blur in many instances. Avoid program/auto mode...the camera will select a shutter speed that is too slow and you will get blurry shots.

What does shutter do? Shutter determines your background colour (faster shutters = deeper blues) and freezes motion (yours, the cameras, the fishie...) Faster shutter speeds let in less light and slower speeds let in more light.

Aperture
Try your aperture around 5.6 or so...you may have to change one or both of these settings during the dive if it looks like your photos are blown out or too dark. Use f8 on things like nudibranchs and other tiny, detailed critters.

Opening your aperture all the way (2.8 or the smallest numerical value your camera has) tends to create soft images. Very few compacts work well at their widest aperture so moving it two or three steps in helps your image look crisper. The problem with program/auto/underwater modes is that the camera will usually decide to open the aperture (soft, perhaps overexposed images) and/or slow the shutter (blurred or overexposed images).

Remember, many lcds on digital cameras are either too bright or too dark - do a little experimenting to get to know yours so you can expose correctly. If your camera has a histrogram feature, use it! It's a very efficient way to determine if your exposure is close.

Dealing with Shutter Lag
Now for shutter lag. You cannot control this, it's just one of those things you are going to have to work around when using any digital non-slr. Prefocus by half press of the shutter then there shouldn't be any significant lag when you fully press to take a photo. This is one of the hardest things to "learn" when moving from film. You are going to have be patient and wait for the fish/creature to "pose" to take the shot. It'll be worth it.

Learn the behaviours of the creatures you are trying to shoot. Then you can start to anticipate where they will be and be ready to capture the moment!

Other Tips

Get close. Your internal flash is pretty useless after about 4 feet or so. Your best results, with or without a flash, are going to be with the least amount of water between you and your subject as possible. Less backscatter, better colours, crisper images...get close!

Slow down. Even while drift diving it is possible to do this. Don't pursue the fish/creature...most of the time this will make them turn away. Have your camera & arms in position so you aren't making dramatic movements when you take a photo...this will also let you have a nice place to prefocus from.

This approach will also help you take shots of creatures that are actually moving - fish, eels, rays, turtles etc. Try to not make large gestures or sudden movements; lead the shot slightly for the half-press prefocus and wait for the subject to get far enough into the frame before full press.

Be prepared with your settings will also help you get that elusive moving target. Usually when cruising the reef I reset my camera to my "defaults" - f4.5 to f5.6 and shutter 1/125 to 1/400. This gives me the shutter speed to capture things and gives me a nice water colour...you'll have to do some test shots at the beginning of your dive to find what works where you are. Then when I see a subject I would like I can concentrate on focus/aiming instead of settings. If I have time, I can adjust and reshoot.

Don't be afraid of high shutter speeds if you have an external strobe. All the light on your subject can come from your flash/strobe and the high (1/800+) shutter will give you those velvelty black backgrounds.

Don't shoot down. Always try to shoot up or at least at an angle. Shooting down on camouflaged creatures like scorpionfish, octopus etc shows how cleverly they are hidden, but makes images look flat and your subject will often appear dull or get lost.

Practice practice practice. If you can do shore dives or snorkelling or even in the swimming pool get in there with the camera. You don't have to keep your results, but practice is the only way you will get a feel for how long it takes for your camera to go from cold (no prefocus) to a worthwhile shot. Then you get to try to "time" that when you diving...it can be frustrating, but keep at it...you'll be surprised at how fast you get it!! You can also practice on land!

Know the limitations of your camera.

* Don't try for those all encompassing reef scenes or wrecks...if you do, turn off the flash and go for the outline/blues look. Adding a WA lens and a strobe later will let you experiment more effectively with this type of photography.
* Know your minimum focus distance. If you go inside of this your photos will be blurry. This changes as you use zoom (it gets farther away). Practice on land with a ruler so you get a feel for things.
* Remember your internal strobe is only good for about 4 feet. Canon A series users may want to turn their flash intensity down to 2/3s instead of full or you will overexpose things that are close; some other manufacturers may have similar quirks. Play with increasing the intensity if 5+ feet away.
* Set your camera to macro mode and leave it there. When shooting the Oly 5050 I leave the camera in macro mode almost all the time; even for manta rays and sharks.
* Turn off the red eye function.
* Reduce backscatter by shooting against a reef background instead of into the blue. Turn off your flash when shooting silver fish in a blue background. Flip your camera upside down or vertical to control where the flash is hitting.
* Whenever possible, take more than one or two frames of your subject.
* Shoot, review, adjust, shoot, review, adjust, shoot etc...

Macro Mode
I keep my camera in macro mode always unless I know I am going to concentrate on really big guys, like manta rays or whale sharks. And even then I have been known to leave it on. Basically what the macro function does is tell the camera to start looking closer for your focus...and since we always want to be closer underwater, seems like a good plan of attack to me.

Note that some cameras, such as some Fuji models, limit zoom use when in macro mode - this is something you'll need to look at before you buy!

Have fun! Don't forget this bit

Turn off the AiAF

Pick your subjects to get started. Don't expect to shoot those zooming fishies perfectly the first time. Look for more stationary subject like nudibranchs, sea stars, corals, scorpionfish and other slow moving or non-moving subject. These will ensure that you bring back some really nice shots even from your first dive. With the slow or stationary things you can practice "getting your eye in" for your settings and also work on composition and finding your minimum focus distance. Go ahead and shoot those faster fish, too. At best you'll get some great shots, at worst you'll have images you can learn from for the next dive!

Don't get too upset if you come back from your dives with only a few good ones. This happens and it's all learning! Remember that diving is fun and adding a camera should remain fun, too!

Last edited:
Basics on "will I use RAW" "will I use a strobe" and other important first questions Can someone explain the pros and cons to a AMATEUR! - ScubaBoard

Current compact choices

Panasonic Lumix FT3/TS3
...limited controls but the two underwater modes work really well for both stills & video. Photos 1
Photos 2

Photos 3

Fuji 900 for full controls
Fuji 30 for some controls
... Fujifilm Finepix F30 - ScubaBoard

Canon A series for full controls no RAW; hacks are available for some models to give you RAW, histograms and other features

Canon S100
Canon G12 Check out all the great posts full of photos by Gilligan. *Note he says an external strobe is essential for the G12.
-recent thread on Canon G12 vs Canon S100: pros & cons on each to help you choose which is right for your needs
Canon G15 compilation thread with images, users of various housings, ideas for wet lenses & more

Canon D10 waterproof ... new user post images & reviews

Oly 350 full controls with RAW
...discussion on features and add-ons
...discussion on Ikelite or Olympus housing
...very long thread with tons of information and real life experiences
...look for LarryC posts
...with add on strobe and lenses

Olympus 770sw - waterproof, shockproof, all-in-one with add-on housing available
...Discussion including links to reviews

Olympus Tough 8000 ... 1st SB review

Olympus specific - list of add-ons, lenses & associated ports

Sony DSC-S60 Some images and a link to video
Sony RX100 Compilation thread with images, first hand experiences, pros & cons and accessory (wet lenses, strobes etc) information.

SeaLife cameras
... Official technical information
... photo examples
... discussion on pros/cons
SeaLife Mini
...Examples of images
...Discussion on this & other options in similar price range

Sea&Sea 8000DG
...in depth discussion & images
...another with examples, too
...August 2007 discussion/examples

Concerned that the camera you are looking for is "out of date" or "discontinued" - I wouldn't be if the model you are looking at will do the things you want it to do. Have a look at these images from the Canon A85 with no added lenses or strobes
Remember, it's the photographer not the toys!

Canon housing parts including o-rings
drrich2:
To order Canon O-rings for the WP-DC90 housing for my A620 I called 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), chose an option for parts & accessories, spoke to a rep., got put through to a different department, spent awhile on hold, then spoke with another rep. & made the order.

An O-ring is $10.27, shipping $6, & for 2 O-rings & shipping I think I paid $28.13 (if I heard the rep.'s voice right). They take major credit cards.

Canon Loyalty Program
Your Canon compact not working? Damaged? Check out this thread with "how to" steps and results!

Manufacturer housing or Ikelite housing? This question comes up a lot and CompuDude has a great beginning answer in this post.

Current 4/3s information - 4/3s cameras as of 2012 are just coming into popularity and underwater housing manufacturers are working hard to meet the needs of divers looking for something with lots of potential but less weight, bulk & expense than dslr units.

Panasonic GX1 - real world, real user review by mjh. Using Lumix 8mm Fish Eye, Lumix 14-42mm, Nauticam housing & S&S YS-D1s strobes.

Current DSLR information

Nikon 80 & 200 discussion/comparison thread
Nikon D300/Sea&Sea housing ... 1st time use report by Eskasi
Olympus E400 first information thread with more links - currently only available in Europe
Olympus E330 calypsonick's observations
... see posts by calypsonick and jlyle in the Olympus & main UW areas for images
Olympus E410 ... see posts by ce4jesus in the Olympus & main UW areas for images
Olympus E520 ... initial discussions an a few images from various lenses
Canon 350 ... see posts by Diver Dennis in the main UW area for images
Canon 20D ... see posts by alcina and Gudge in the main UW area for images
Canon 40D ... see posts by alcina and Gudge in the main UW area for images
Canon 5D ... Lens & Ikelite talk

The SIZE ISSUE - comparison of dslr housing vs Ikelite for a compact/P&S added 10 Nov 07

Where to buy: Always remember to check out the seller and the condition of the goods. For those ordering in the US, when you order some items from outside of the US they may be considered "gray market" items and this will impact warranty coverage and manufacturer support. It's up to you to check the warranty, repair and after purchase support and then decide if this is viable for your needs - it's no good complaining to the manufacturer afterwards that your warranty isn't valid!

Look for side-by-side comparisons of various cameras at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Look for available underwater housings at digideep.com :: list of all underwater housings suitable for digital photography and videography... or DigiFish (thanks to randini)

Compare prices at retailers at PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders BuyDig.com are two online sellers that consistently have good customer service and value

Ryan & Richard at Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros and email ryan@reefphoto.com to ask about system set-ups and compatibility plus a huge variety of housings, strobes, cameras, arms, trays etc - excellent advice and range

Yuzo in Japan ships quickly to all over the world and has excellent service and prices - info@naturephoto.co.jp New web site in English: UWdigitalcamera.com - (thanks to Gudge for the new link!)

Allen at Allen's Cameras (his staff are great, too). Allenscamera@comcast.net

For Inon products: (thanks to Mark Rupert!)
Inon link to worldwide distributors:
Inon America

Here's a link to a list of suppliers that may help (thanks, Randini!)

Insurance...

Do I need it?
Only you can answer this question. If you are not willing to fork out the cash when something goes wrong, then, yes, you need it. You'll need to decide if the replacement costs out-weigh the cost of premiums and excess payments.

What options are there?
This is not a definitive list, of course, but hits on three of the most popular options. Make sure you do your own homework - only you can decide which policy will suit your needs the best.

- H2O (https://www.h2oinsurance.com) pays out cash. kidsdream uses H20.

- home insurance. Some policies will let you attach a rider to cover your gear. Talk with your insurance agent and be sure to be clear on what consequences there will be on your total policy in the event of a flood/loss/damage claim. Some believe this is a good option; others aren't willing to risk it.

- DAN. USA residents only, though.

Last edited:
Please PM me with any links or information that you think would be helpful to add to this thread and I'll get it worked in as appropriate :D

Will try to keep this thread current with new links to various cameras and information.

Coming soon:
more on RAW
histograms
ISO

For those who are thinking of going DSLR, here is a starter thread for you from a while back...updates & new links as I get to them!

Thinking of Goind DSLR? I was...

Another Compact to DSLR musing...

This one gives very good specifics on some of the differences from one author's perspective. Thanks to vkalia

These lenses were in response to a question on Canon systems, but Nikon has very similar offerings. Once I have a list or link for other brands I'll stick it in here :)

For lenses:
Sigma 17-70 with dome port A friend has been using this lens for a while now and I borrowed it the other day. I like it so much I had to buy one. It focusses closely so you can minimize the water between you and your subject. The range is really nice for a tremendous range of subjects and compositions. It's pretty fast to focus and it's sharp. It can also be lit pretty effectively with a single strobe. For $325 ish at sigma4less it's a no brainer in my book.

Canon 100mm macro - Nikon 105mm macro This is a sweet piece of glass. Fast to focus, though you will likely need a focus light for dark shootin. It allows you to fill your frame from a bit away from your subject so helps with skittish creatures and with keeping your distance from behaviours so as not to disturb. Add TCs later for getting fabulous supermacro stuff. It's relatively easy to light. I personally have found that I don't need the extra distance for most of my shooting so my favourite current lens is...

Canon 60mm macro - Canon & Sigma 50mm macro - Nikon 50mm macro This is the lens (Canon 60mm as I use a 20D which is a cropped sensor camera) that I almost always reach for. It allows 1:1 just like the 100mm macro above, but you have to get closer. Closer is better underwater. However, as with everything there are tradeoffs - closer is harder to light properly sometimes and sometimes creatures won't let you in that close. So far, for my area, I haven't had a problem getting close enough to fill the frame on even the most skittish creatures like mantis shrimp and gobies...ymmv. I adore this lens. It is also a bit more versatile than the 100 as with the wider field of view you can actually shoot reasonable sized fish and turtles as well as diver heads etc. I have a well framed shot from behind a diver's head as they aim their camera at the turtle in front of them. Diver, camera and turtle all in frame. I wouldn't be without this one.

Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20
These are the ones for wide angle work. You will really need two strobes to do justice to them, though. I had the Sigma but flooded it It was a nice lens. I changed to the Canon simply because the budget did allow after the flood. It's a fabulous lens - I love it above water. Haven't had it under myself as yet, but the images from it from others are wonderful.

12-24 range Sigma, Tamron, Tokina These should have been on my previous list. I do not have them but know lots of shooters who do and love them to bits. Worth looking at if you think the 10-22 range lenses are just too wide for your needs right now or out of your price range.

Simga 15mm FishEye (FE) Popular wide angle option. Relatively inexpensive. Gives a different feel to the photo than the 10-24 range lenses above. Definitely need two strobes to do it justice. May be limited in usefulness on land, but some love it. Worth doing a good search for images to see if it's your cup of tea.

Tokina 10-17mm fisheye A newcomer that is getting lots of great reviews and images. Gives a different kind of shot than a "normal" wide angle lens, similar to the effect from the Sigma 15mm above. Here are some shots from Gudge July 2007.

Woody's dioptre or similar Add this to your macros for more versatilitiy underwater. Check to make sure it fits the Ike ports. Great equipment for like $70!

Also, note on the 60mm and 10-22 that these are Canon's EFS lenses and will only work with cropped sensor cameras (the 20D, 30D, Rebels etc). They will not work with the full frame cameras like the 5D. This puts some off buying them, but I can't imagine not buying the lens I want now just in case somewhere in the future I buy a different camera. There's always a market for good second hand lenses!

Olympus has some new offerings, too:
Recent discussion on 330
Images #1 & Images #2

I don't really get what the numbers on lenses mean - focal length explained simply!

Warren_L:
Focal length is the distance from the optical centre of the lens to its focal point (where an object at infinity is in focus - usually the focal plane where the film is or sensor in a dSLR).

Why is this? Think of this analogy as it relates to angle of view. When you are looking out a window, the closer you are to the window, the greater the angle of view. If you (the focal plane) moves closer to the window (the optical centre of the lens), you are able to see more. As you adjust your distance from the window (focal length), you will be able to see more or less depending on whether you move closer to the window (shorten the focal length) or move further from the window (longer focal length).

Last edited:
Strobes - yes, they will make your life better :) Be prepared to pay for a strobe as the good ones aren't cheap. A good strobe will last for years and years and will be able to grow with you as you change systems so consider that mostly the cost will be a once (or twice :wink:) off spread over many happy years of lighting your subjects properly!

Which strobe is best for you? The Strobe Finder is the best resource I have found to figure that out.

Strobes - here are some contenders...

Ike 125 The big boy of strobes. Quickest recycle time. Great coverage. Proprietary batteries.
Ike DS51 A smaller, but still mighty strobe for digital systems

Inon 240, D2000 I use the Inon's and just ordered a second. Light, easy, great coverage, manual control, AA batteries (my rechargeables last forever it seems).

Sea & Sea 90 - I think MikeV uses these.
Sea & Sea YS27 - just added to the Strobe Finder

Recent discussion on Inon 240 & Sea&Sea 90

Here is some information on getting started with your Inon strobe.

TTL - do I need it?

Short answer is "no" you don't need it. But if your system supports ttl and you buy a strobe that can do ttl it can be a useful tool. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if the strobe/system does not offer ttl as long as you have manual controls on the strobe.

Just like anything else with underwater photography, ttl is a tool. If you have it, learn how to use it and when it works best/doesn't work so good.

Whether you have ttl or not, it's highly recommended that you also learn to shoot in manual mode on your strobes. Not only will it help you control your own lighting but you won't be stuck in the dark, so to speak, if for some reason your ttl goes down while you are diving! There are also times when ttl simply doesn't work that well. Being able to go to manual control is invaluable...even if you only use it sometimes.

Don't forget that with strobes you also have: batteries, synch cables (fibre optic or hard wired), handles and a tray. You not only need to budget for these, but you also need make sure that the bits you buy work together!

Report - Olympus ttl

How do things work with the fibre optic cable?

bobf provided some excellent links to explain the Optical D Cable, S-TTL, Clear Photo System and Advanced Cancel Circuitry.

bobf again provides an easy to read and understand explanation about the Ikelite EV controller and Inon's choices

For arms and trays here are just three of the options:

Ikelite - flexible system; you can choose the bits you need; totally compatible with Ikelite strobes; can work well with other strobe brands

ULCS - flexible system; you can choose the bits you need; fairly expensive; very lightweight; stable underwater; a favourite among photographers.

LocLine - relatively inexpensive; extremely versatile underwater (you can pop them apart and back together again - good for holes!), lightweight; come in pieces so you can add or subtract length as necessary - even on a dive; can become unstable when using a very long section and there is current or with very heavy strobe heads; easy to adapt to fit most strobe heads - a bit of DIY may be in order!

I'm not exactly sure about strobes - tell me more
Here are links to two posts that talk clearly about the benefits of having manual control of your strobes
Post One
Post Two

Click here for ideas on Photoshop tutorials and books...

A fabulous "how to: blue to better colour" with a real world example...

Real World Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS2 Fraser, Bruce ISBN 0-321-33409-4

The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers Kelby, Scott ISBN 0-321-33062-5

Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers Kelby, Scott

Kelby's other books on the new CS3 and Lightroom are also worth looking at!

An excellent DVD on Photoshop techniques specifically for Underwater Images - perhaps the best $90 you'll invest in this hobby. The tips and tricks are applicable to land based shots, too. This tutorial DVD is set up very well, the tutorials are easy to understand and follow and the techniques are extremely useful! This is a must have tool, IMO.

Interesting conversation about where formats are going...
"Thinking of the Future" - RAW formats now and later

Lightroom Tips & Tricks - FREE pdf download.

Canon's own photography forum has an excellent compilation of information on GIMP. GIMP is free, powerful editing software (not exclusive to Canon users!).

Photoshop, Lightroom & News - NAPP Newswire

Troubleshooting Adobe Bridge (thanks to Bubbletrubble for the link)

Last edited:
White balance simply tells your camera what you want "white" to be. You need to do this, especially with jpegs and no strobes or internal flash, to try to get the camera to recognize reds and other colours. This is a terribly simplified explanation, of course, but it should get us working.

In jpeg, your camera throws away a bunch of data. So when you set your MWB you have more chance of the camera keeping the information you want it to keep and this will make tweaking in your post-processing workflow easier and, usually, better.

RAW does not throw away any data so there is no real need to set your white balance as it's quick and easy to do in post-processing. With RAW, you make all of the decisions - not your camera. Clearly this enables you to have greater control over your end images. You can set your white balance while you use RAW, if you wish. In some instances this will make your post-processing quicker and it is also useful to give you a benchmark. Note that setting the white balance in RAW does not work exactly the same way as setting it in jpeg. You still have all of the data and can change the white balance just as if you hadn't set it. All setting the white balance while shooting RAW does is to give the camera directions on how to show you the image on review.

"White" will change with your depth and with the way the light is acting - for instance when you change angles substantially. Generally you need to take a new white balance reading (Manual White Balance = MWB) every time you change depth by a couple of meters or if the lighting changes dramatically (clouds, facing the opposite direction than when you first set it...). A slate is the most common "white" object used to set MWB, but you can also use sand if it's more or less white.

Many cameras also have various settings for white balance such as: cloudy, sunny, tungsten... Some photographers have found that one or some of these settings work quite well in certain circumstances so it's worth playing around with them and comparing your results. If you are able to shoot the same area/conditions repeatedly this may be especially helpful.

Here are three images supplied by Jamdiver to illustrate some simple white balance concepts:

Auto - the camera doesn't really know what the colours should look like, so it guesses. And gives you a blue image which can be very hard to colour correct.
IMG_0214-autoWB.jpg

The more light that would be on the subject in your photo, the more colour there may be to revive in post-processing.

MWB
IMG_0213-manualWB.jpg

Telling the camera what you want white to be will help it record the scene more accurately, but can often give you too much red. It takes a little tweaking with setting it and the in post-processing to get things the way you want it, but it's definitely worth the time!

Internal flash
IMG_0215-internalflash.jpg

This scene is probably a little ambitious for the internal flash, but it's a great illustration of how the colour of the colour looks with "real" light on it. It also shows one of the downsides of shooting with internal flash - backscatter in the blues. Quick tip: reduce your backscatter in your blue backgrounds when shooting reef scenes by flipping your camera upside down. This directs the light onto your subject and minimizes the amount of light hitting the blue.

When do I use manual white balance?
MWB is mostly used when you are not using any other light source, such as a strobe or internal flash. It can be used for:
- scenes that are too wide for your flash/strobe
- things that are really too far away for your flash/strobe to light
- when there is a lot of particulate in the water and you don't want to risk using the internal flash/strobe

Some people have said they also set MWB when they use a flash or strobe, but I do not have any examples and have never done so. As people get examples and descriptions to me, I'll add them!

MWB is also used with jpegs, not when shooting RAW. You can set it when you shoot in RAW, but it really doesn't gain you anything.

How do I set it and how often do I need to reset it underwater?
The "how" will be in your user manual. Not all cameras offer this function so you might want to double check that it is available in any model you are considering.

The "how often" is dictated by your journey through the water. As you change depths (every couple of meters is the rule of thumb) you will need to reset it. As you change angles, you will need to reset it. As you change your direction (facing into sun, facing away from sun) you will need to reset it. Why all the resetting? WB is a function of the light underwater, so really anytime the light changes you have to show your camera what you want white to be. Make sure that you don't have shadows or blowouts on your slate or the patch of sand you are using - the light needs to fall evenly to get the best from MWB.

We've only just scratched the surface on WB so keep checkin' in!

How to include images in your posts here on ScubaBoard:

DandyDon:
Ok, maybe this can be illusrate what I was trying to explain...

(1) This is a link to a pic I have on SB's Photo Gallery: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/67067/cat/2199

(2) This is a little more advanced hyper link to the same pic: Here I used the hyperlink symble right below the smilie symble above the white post drafting box.

(3) At the bottom you'll find a thumbnail of the pic attached from my computer files that can be clicked to show a full size pic in a new window. I added this thru Manage Attachments below the white post drafting box.

(4) And this is the pic imbedded from my SB Photo Gallery - but this is a little involved for a quick explanation...

2-02.JPG

Looks good :) Thanks, Don!

Here's a quick "how to embed" from SB Gallery:

Go to your image, click on it. Underneath scroll until you see "Forum Address" - copy this entire thing (CTRL+C on a pc) - you will see it has tags on either end

go to your post, paste (Ctrl+v) it into your post. viola!

BUT some tags are incomplete:
[img]/gallery/data/500/cocosraccoonpair1.jpg

You must add http://www.scubaboard.com before the first / to get this to happen:
cocosraccoonpair1.jpg

From sites like photobucket.com and flikr, there are boxes under your images that have these codes, too. Again, just copy and paste them into your post.

Images work very well when their longest dimension is 900 pixels. This allows the viewer to get a good sized image while allowing most people to not have to scroll on an open screen. Keeping your file size below about 100kbs is also very much appreciated by those who are on a slower connection!

[B]Want Critique? [/B]
[URL="http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/159150-c-c-critiquing-photos.html"]Here's a thread[/URL] that has some information on what to ask for and how to title your thread so you can get the best feedback possible.

Last edited:
The web an incredible resource for stimulating our creative juices but good, old-fashioned real books also provide not only information but a tactile experience that can help kick it up a notch.

This link will take you to a great compilation of ideas on books you should look into. If you have others, either add them to the linked thread or PM me and I will add them to this post.

Enjoy!

A current (Apr 08) thread with great discussions from those who have been diving a long time, those who have been diving a short time, those who are just starting, those who dive with cameras all the time, those who dive with cameras sometimes and even those who don't dive with cameras but who dive with other divers who do! A great read for pretty much all divers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom