Everyone please remember one of the most important safety rules of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone can call a dive at any time for any reason. This includes before the dive starts. If something doesn't seem right, if you have a sixth sense don't do it.

I'm writing this because in New England we have had two incidents one on Monday one on Tuesday. I do not know the details so I will not post without absolute facts. What is known is that on Monday a diver had to be pulled from the water, he was rescued successfully. On Tuesday a diver was found dead at the same dive site. Another diver took photo's of a popular dive site close by showing very rough entry/exit, he canned the dive without even gearing up.

We are land animals, breathing underwater is something we are not supposed to do. Technology lets us enjoy this sport we all love so much but we have to remember what are capable of and not push our limits. The fact that we are breathing underwater is in itself dangerous, it is up to us to mitigate the risk as best we can.

It does not matter the money, time, driving etc we do to go diving..... It's not worth your life.

Again if things don't look, feel, phase of moon isn't right, etc DON'T DO IT.

So you know that the divers had some reason to call off the dives before they happened? What were those reasons?

So you know that the divers had some reason to call off the dives before they happened? What were those reasons?

The one that posted the photos canceled because of ocean conditions.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of life. Our waters are similar here. I'm old, so limit my shore dives to places that are easy, and can dive on a good day being retired. Maybe someone is younger and has a limited time (like a weekend), so they chance it?
I can count on one hand the number of dives I've cancelled, mostly for weather, one for viz.
A risk assessment thing, as the books say.

Nubble in York

Hi Formernuke,

Great thread.

The ocean can be a dangerous place. Many landlubbers don't understand the dynamics of the ocean. I was on a trip where a few were politely questioning my status as an SME (I was a professional mariner). I was politely advocating for caution. I told them that seas are different than swells, and when thy combine you get some huge waves. They referred to them as "rogue waves." I replied no, they are waves that commonly occur on the ocean. Especially, when seas and swells are coming from different directions, which is common. Also, understanding the fetch cycle is critical. When a large wave hits a boat channel that is cut-through a reef, bad things can happen.

And then this happened:
83305395_10219960950870006_6077706532923899904_n-jpg.562770.jpg

Many did not witness the event that caused solid water to crash over the bow of this boat and break through the forward facing windows. Some in our group had dive gear on that boat -- you can see it being rinsed by the water crashing through the now-broken forward windows.

Then they saw the picture.

Respect the ocean: "Mother nature isn't out to get you, she just doesn't care!" (Bob DBF)

cheers,
m²V2

Back
Top Bottom