everyday between 6/27 and 7/7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blac86

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ill be shore Diving venice beaches if anyone wants to come along. I have tanks and weights just let me know ahead of time and I can supply them.

Definitely every morning, I'm going to try for afternoons too.

Nice offer! When does the tour hit the ease coast?:)

blac86,
Great diving with you on July 4th! Below is the dive trip description I did for OC Diving News, a 500 member diving bullentin board in Southern California.- J. Reeb

Although the Gulfcoast diving in Southwest FL is not generally on par with the Eastcoast and FL Keys, there are a couple of options. July 4th found me in Venice FL, "the shark tooth capitol of the world".

I dove a site just South of the main "old town" area, named for the street which deadends into the sand; Alhambra. I was fortunate enough to connect with a local diver via scubaboard. Ben was a pleasure to dive with and was very knowledgeable on the local shark tooth scene.

This is a super easy dive; the main area for collecting lies 50 yds off the beach in 13-18' of warm water. Using an Al 80, we did an 86 minute dive and I still surfaced with 1400psi.

The bottom is soft sand with a few 6" rock ledges. Marine life is a little sparse, a few stray fish, lots of big sand-dollars. The viz was 8-10'

The sharks teeth, of which there must be zillions of them, are in fossil bed deposits offshore. Although I envisioned fanning the sand like some treasure hunter looking for pieces of eight, that actually wasn't what blac86 recommended and I never found any teeth that way. It was better to simply slowly kick near the bottom looking closely for the outline of a tooth.

Most of the ones I located were simply lying there in the sand.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWJePi9gvCr/

J.Reeb
Dark-thirty Diver
818-635-4408 (text)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom