Every mask presses against the bottom of my nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubalust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had a problem for many years now of dive masks pressing against the bottom of my nose. Not sure if this is considered the nasal septum, or what, but it's basically the center ridge between the nostrils.

So recently, I've been on a quest to replace my existing (uncomfortable) mask with something that's actually comfortable. However, I've been very surprised to find that virtually every new mask I try on does exactly the same thing. I can't help but wonder if this "one-size-fits-all" philosophy of the companies making the dive masks is the source of the problem.

I've read a number of posts from people who claim that this problem is typically due to the mask strap being located too high on the back of the head, but this isn't the case with me. In any event, as I'm trying on the new masks in the shops, I'm not even using the strap, and they all still interfere with the bottom of my nose, in varying degrees of discomfort.

I don't think my nose is particularly large or bulbous. The problem isn't with the nose pocket touching the tip of the nose, or the sides, but always at the bottom. And I never seem to have a problem with the bridge of the nose, or any part of the upper nose.

Anyway, I have the feeling I'm not alone in this, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a mask with a somewhat lower nose pocket that they've found to be comfortable? After a LOT of searching online, the only comment about this that I've found (from two different people) was that the Atomic Aquatics Venom gave them some relief from this problem, but those comments were in a product review. I've never seen a thread specifically for this purpose - which surprises me, as I've heard offhand from a number of diving buddies that they've had the same experience.

Many thanks for any helpful hints or suggestions!

It's a fairly common observation, though perhaps not many have it as severely as you do. I might slightly disagree with your statement that every mask has the same problem. As I look into fitting masks for my students, there is a fair variety among brands and models in both the size of the nasal pocket and in the bridge design at the top of the nose where it meets the forehead.
In your case, since you note that it is consistently the same issue, I would suggest you try finding a design with a slightly larger nasal pocket, and more important, a rounded bridge at the top of the nose.
This will allow you to do something you have been unsuccessful with before: wearing the mask slightly lower on your face, so you acquire the space you need under your nasal septum. I had a recent student with exactly this problem. When we positioned the mask lower, the hard plastic bridge at the top dug into the top of her nose. When we shifted to a rounded nasal bridge design, the shift to lower on her face worked perfectly. So that is why I am suggesting you look for a larger nasal pocket with a soft rounded top end, rather than concentrating on what it looks like at the bottom.
Having said that, if you are now wearing your mask 1/8-1/4" lower on your face, the size and contour of the skirt becomes important so that it doesn't interfere with your lip as you bite the mouthpiece. A tough situation! Good luck to you .

Probably not quite the answer you're looking for but have you considered a full face mask (FFM)? THe Ocean Reef G. Diver I use works well for me and it's meant to be set up so it never really touches your nose unless you need to equalize. It uses two nodes inside the oranasal pocket that push against the openings of your nostrils so you can use the Valsalva method to equalize. Otherwise, you can breathe through your nose with ease and not have the discomfort of having anything pressing against the septum. I personally keep mine set to where it presses against my nostrils at all times, which yes takes some getting used to, but it also keeps me from ever having to touch my mask to equalize. Since my nostrils are closed while I'm wearing the mask, all I do is close my throat and equalize. Here's a picture of the interior of the mask (although mine is white and not blue) that shows the nodules that close off the nostrils for equalization.

P2201211.JPG

On top of comfort, though, there are certainly other benefits to dive a FFM.

1. No fogging or leaks
2. No jaw fatigue (from biting a mouthpiece)
3. No dry mouth
4. Keeps your face warm during cold water diving
5. Ability to communicate verbally (using the accessory coms unit)
6. Almost look like a futuristic astronaut (way cool!)

Downside....cost. When you break it down in terms of buying a good mask and good second stage regulator, the cost of a FFM becomes a lot more reasonable. And at first they do feel a bit bulky, but it goes away after a couple hours in the pool getting used to it.

If you have a dive shop close that can let you try one (rent one), try it out in the pool and see what you think. I love mine and don't see myself going back to a convention mask any time soon.....except where acting as a dive master assisting an instructor dictates.

I too "suffer" the same fate. My solution were masks made by Beuchat, either the Strato or the Mundial. The Strato is also sold by Halcyon and a host of other companies (the one I currently use). The Strato is pretty generic now. They are one of the few masks that the nose piece does not angle up. Try them out. They are great for scuba and ok for free diving.

FYI, the Strato is a bit lower profile than the Mundail. But both are extremely comfortable.

I have had the same issue. Unfortunately I don't feel it unless I'm in the water under pressure. Because of this, I have spent more money on masks than I'm proud of. Right now I'm diving this mask: Genesis Panview Purge 2 Mask and it's better than the others I've tried. Still not perfect, but I recently dove 7 dives over 4 days with only minor tenderness.

Have you tried the Tusa Freedom mask? I highly recommend it for your situation.

There's another thread in this DING sub-form that discusses this same issue: Help choosing a new mask

I have the same problem with pressure on the underside of my nose, and I've found a few masks that work for me:
  • Cressi Big Eyes
  • Technisub Micromask
  • IST M200

It's a fairly common observation, though perhaps not many have it as severely as you do. I might slightly disagree with your statement that every mask has the same problem. As I look into fitting masks for my students, there is a fair variety among brands and models in both the size of the nasal pocket and in the bridge design at the top of the nose where it meets the forehead.
In your case, since you note that it is consistently the same issue, I would suggest you try finding a design with a slightly larger nasal pocket, and more important, a rounded bridge at the top of the nose.
This will allow you to do something you have been unsuccessful with before: wearing the mask slightly lower on your face, so you acquire the space you need under your nasal septum. I had a recent student with exactly this problem. When we positioned the mask lower, the hard plastic bridge at the top dug into the top of her nose. When we shifted to a rounded nasal bridge design, the shift to lower on her face worked perfectly. So that is why I am suggesting you look for a larger nasal pocket with a soft rounded top end, rather than concentrating on what it looks like at the bottom.
Having said that, if you are now wearing your mask 1/8-1/4" lower on your face, the size and contour of the skirt becomes important so that it doesn't interfere with your lip as you bite the mouthpiece. A tough situation! Good luck to you .

Thank you for your suggestion about the necessary design features! I will definitely start looking for these aspects of the mask design.

Have you tried the Tusa Freedom mask? I highly recommend it for your situation.

You're the second person to recommend this mask for that reason, so I'll definitely look for it.

By the way, there are apparently a number of Tusa masks using the name Freedom, so would you mind being specific about which one has helped you in that regard? From the Tusa website, it looks like they have different designs as well, and I want to be sure which one you're referring to.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've got a similar problem though it seems to take a couple of days of diving before it actually hurts rather than just annoys. I do have to remind myself to wear the mask a bit further down on my face and then it takes more days of diving before I notice.
I dive a Genesis but don't ask me which particular one, as I really can't recall. My nose isn't big either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom