EV Turks, boarding assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking at at trip this summer in Turks. My wife needs to remove her BCD before boarding after a dive.
Is that a problem at all getting help from the crew ? I know lots of places say that is not a problem, but she
does not want to be a problem for the crew. I am sure she would prefer not going up and down the stairs to
the dive platform with her tank/BCD on also. Curious if anyone was on trips with divers that removed gear
before boarding and if it was any issue? Thanks!

A woman on our boat sonetimes removed her bc in the water - they just reached down and took it from her. There's two ladders and a crewman was always at one of them if divers were in the water. Often two.

They all were extremely accommodating and helpful in getting you/your gear back on board. Seemed really like nice people also - not just "tip" nice. We took the captain and some them to dinner Friday night.

They will let you drop off either side of the dive deck but it's a pretty good drop maybe 10-12'

The main deck cabins on the boat are the same level as the dive deck - then you walk down about 6--8 stairs to the large dive platform.

One of the drifts we did (unplanned) turned into a circus when the swells picked up - it's a live drop and they cut the engines for the pickup a few divers at a time.

If your wife has problems with climbing stairs - there's quite a few of them. Inside a staircase down to the less expensive cabins - which IIRC is the only way down to them and one up to the premium cabins and outside there's a staircase up to the sun deck and another flight up to the flybridge. The sundeck is behind the premium cabins so those stairs get you there also.

We liked the flybridge, covered, padded benches, stocked drinks - spent most SI's up there

They were very accomodating on the Explorer boat I was aboard. Call the office to make any special arrangements. I doubt your request will be unusual. All ages and genders suffer from back injuries.
The office is going to tell you what you want to hear. Not the EV office in particular, but any liveaboard office.

Send an e-mail to the boat, or to the boat through the office, and don't stop asking until you get an answer from the captain who will be on the boat. Liveaboard offices (not EV, but any) are long on promises and if the promises aren't delivered on, not their problem.

Send an e-mail to the boat, or to the boat through the office, and don't stop asking until you get an answer from the captain who will be on the boat. Liveaboard offices (not EV, but any) are long on promises and if the promises aren't delivered on, not their problem.

That is prudent, though I was able to make some special requests at the EV office that the crew was prepared for. That said, that was years ago and past performance does not guarantee future performance. That said, wouldn't you be a little surprised if doffing a tank in the water and handing it up to crew would be objected to?

I can see asking for some assurance that the condition wouldn't significantly impact safety. I am babying my back a bit now since a CT revealed L4 & C5 degeneration... no surprise given a lifetime of lifting heavy gear.

That is prudent, though I was able to make some special requests at the EV office that the crew was prepared for. That said, that was years ago and past performance does not guarantee future performance. That said, wouldn't you be a little surprised if doffing a tank in the water and handing it up to crew would be objected to?

I can see asking for some assurance that the condition wouldn't significantly impact safety. I am babying my back a bit now since a CT revealed L4 & C5 degeneration... no surprise given a lifetime of lifting heavy gear.
We did not, and all crews complain about it.

We did not because we had a DM file a Jones Act claim when he dislocated a shoulder reaching down to recover a pax's gear.

But we were very clear abut it. We didn't do it, if you asked the office, we didn't do it. If you sent an e-mail to me asking if I would make an exception, the answer was no.

But maybe our diving wasn't suited to all kinds of divers. We felt very strongly that if you weren't physically able to board the boat under your own power in full kit, you probably weren't physically of diving in the conditions likely to be encountered 100 miles from higher medical help.

EV crews aren't Jones act crews.

Dived on the Belize Aggressor IV last spring. We had a diver on the boat with back issues. The crew carried their rig down the steps to the dive deck and assisted donning. They also hauled the rig up prior to exiting the water. I understand this wasn't EV and I don't know what prior arrangements had been made, but it didn't seem to be an unusual occurrence. YMMV.

the turks & caiicos Aggressor will put people who need assistance on the back seats for ease of movement
they will carry gear down BUT the diver MUST remove there weights out before as the crew cannot afford to damage there backs (dive crew dont usually get sick pay!) so please make sure that 1 you are not over weighted 2 your weight release system is not a problem for you to had up the weight to the crew
some bcds like Zegal weight system is not a friendly system to remove
they also don do live drops the zodiac is used in emergencies on navigational issues
have fun!!!

2 your weight release system is not a problem for you to had up the weight to the crew
some bcds like Zegal weight system is not a friendly system to remove

Not really an issue. Just use the Zeagle weight pouches. My wife does it all the time.

90% of people loose the pouches or can not unzip them in the water then complain bitterly about the sress of removing weights all the time it happen alot on liveaboards i go on also most are so over weighed its untrue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom