European wreck & cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for some places that have good wreck and cave diving in Europe. I figure the Channel, the N Sea near the Channel, the Baltic, etc. are probably good areas for wrecks but what about other areas? Are there any lakes that offer good wreck diving? Are there any areas that offer good cave (not cavern) diving? By good I mean multiple locations sort of near each other so that over the course of a few days you can do multiple sites.

Rought boundaries they seem to be pushing in France and it seems like there are a number of karst fields throughout the region.

If you are after wreck diving the UK offer so much for the novice through to the most experience diver. Being a small country means that you are never far away from the sea and some good dive sites. Wreck diving is one of the most popular pastimes of the average British diver. The mass of ships that has lain undisturbed holds a certain thrill, be it in the UK or abroad. Fortunately for those who dive in the UK, Britain is blessed with more ship wrecks than any other country in the world; in fact there are nearly 250,000 wrecks at last count ?

There are dozens of centres along the south coast where you can take a fast rib or slower day boat. On the Cornish coast Looe Divers run both and go to most of the main wrecks. Porthkerris is situated on the Manicles reef, where god knows how many wrecks lay.

Not much diving in the north sea near the channel as it is too silty and the vis can drop to inches!

Cave diving is best done in the Med, where most of the islands have so many caves and caverns you'll be spoilt for choice. Best advice is to do the UK, get one of the low cost flights (book far enough in advanced and you will pay £5) go to the Med (Mallorca for the caves and some nice Sun.

Hope this helps

UK Wreck diving id suggest the channel or the west coast where conditions are slightly better visibility wise.

The entire UK coast has literally thousands of wrecks to dive wherever you are. If you want wreck nirvana go to Scapa flow!

As for caves, lots of people go to france.

Thanks for the info (a 1/4 million wrecks in the UK region? I knew it was a lot but wow!), I was especially impressed with the detail on the Poland wrecks site. Still looking for any info on cave/lake diving in central or eastern Europe.

Halthron:
Thanks for the info (a 1/4 million wrecks in the UK region? I knew it was a lot but wow!), I was especially impressed with the detail on the Poland wrecks site. Still looking for any info on cave/lake diving in central or eastern Europe.

I have serious doubts aobut the 1/4 million figure. On the whole North Sea there are only about 10,000 divable objects, and probably only 10-20% of those are wrecks that are worth the boat ride.

If you're coming to Europe for wreck diving and you like deep/technical wrecks then France, Croatia and Poland are top spots.

The North Sea is also littered with wrecks and if you ask me (I'm biased) it offers some of the most interesting wreck diving in Western Europe.

Interesting wrecks in lakes are less common and lake diving tends to suck in much of Europe outside of mountain lakes because of poor visibility and limited biomass. If I were you I would focus on salt water wrecks.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom