European Diving Guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you well know, being based in NL, Europe is a bit big for a single guide...

I have searched in vain for a guide to the Med' but there only appears to be an old guide by Kurt Amsler.

The UK is well covered by the Diver Guides. (About 10 I think in total)

I have yet to find an equivalent for any other part(s) of Europe.

If you speak as many languages as most other Dutch people how about you and me get together and write one! Must be some money in it!

Best
Chris

hey Chris,

yea I know... Europe is big. I know there are similar guides for 'the best European surf locations' though... there must be something like that for diving!

Will check that guide out that you mentioned...
I'm not very interested in diving in the colder countries, like the UK, Scandinavia or Eastern Europe so I'd love to have a guide of at least Greece, Spain and Italy...

watersprite

ps. writing a book would definitely be a cool idea.... or a website! let's start with a European scubaboard! There must be more European scuba divers on the web... where are they? not many of them seem to be here? why not?

watersprite:
.... or a website! let's start with a European scubaboard! There must be more European scuba divers on the web... where are they? not many of them seem to be here? why not?

Mostly they hang out on the forums for their country...

For France try www.plongeeonline.com for example or our site here for Italy (north mostly) www.poverosub.com etc...

No doubt there must be a Dutch one too..

I like Scubaboard and you get to interface with some big names like Bruce Wienke but the diving stuff is too US based..

Diving in Greece is not that great due to the attitude of Greek authorities who are a bit anal about things as they have lots of antiquities to look after. Spain, Italy and Greece are not big Internet users. For Spain try Iles Mendes. Italy, MV Haven and if you want to speak some Greek go to Cyprus and try Zenobia. Google on any of these will give loads of sites, mostly in English...

Chris

Hi Watersprite,

I'm from Portugal, and I know quite well all the South Europe Best dive spots and also quite a lot around the world, if you have a good proposal...

I'm a diving instructor (PADI, DAN, TDI ) and also the Base Leader for the DEEPDIVE dive center. We have some Divemasters that will probabily be interested, so if you want please contact me: antonio_garcias@iol.pt

Regards,
Tozé

chrisch:
Mostly they hang out on the forums for their country...

For France try www.plongeeonline.com for example or our site here for Italy (north mostly) www.poverosub.com etc...

No doubt there must be a Dutch one too..

I like Scubaboard and you get to interface with some big names like Bruce Wienke but the diving stuff is too US based..

Diving in Greece is not that great due to the attitude of Greek authorities who are a bit anal about things as they have lots of antiquities to look after. Spain, Italy and Greece are not big Internet users. For Spain try Iles Mendes. Italy, MV Haven and if you want to speak some Greek go to Cyprus and try Zenobia. Google on any of these will give loads of sites, mostly in English...

Chris

oh hey hallo, Toze. Gathering info on European dive locations was the idea of Chris though!

I don't have a clue if this is worth the money. I don't have any contacts in this business either and to be honest, I hardly dived in Europe! So, I'm not sure if I'm the person to come up with a proposal...

Anyhow, I am positive about the idea but I suspect that setting up an internet site would be a better idea. I guess it can be sponsored by banners from dive operators, travel agencies, etc.

Since I dont' have a clue about how to set this up, I'm wondering if there's anyone who has some ideas about how we could do this? I don't know how ScubaBoard itself got started? Perhaps we could use some expertise from people here?

And yes, Chris, I could make some translations into some languages (sorry, no Greek though...), French, German, Dutch & English if needed (?).

watersprite

Hi Watersprite,
Sorry, in the beginning I had not understand your needs, because it's not the first time We do that kind of job, normally, it's with People from Russia, that contact us, and stay for a week normally, and want to make the best dives around.
Anyway, if you need some help, I'm glad to help you with the infos you need.
Regards,
Tozé

Hi Toze,

OK, no worries! :)

Thanks for your help! I am not sure where I'll go to on holidays this summer (I'll decide that last-minute), so that's why I was wondering if I could get myself a "European dive guide". :)

If I decide to go to Portugal this summer, I'll definitely contact you for some tips on where to go for scuba diving!

Regards,
Watersprite

watersprite:
Hi Toze,

If I decide to go to Portugal this summer, I'll definitely contact you for some tips on where to go for scuba diving!

Regards,
Watersprite
Ok, Watersprite
We glad to know, and wait for you if you decide to come here.
Regards,
Toze

watersprite:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good scuba diving guide for destinations in Europe, either on the internet or a book.

Can anyone here recommend a good one to me?

watersprite

I'm aware of few books about diving in Adriatic (maps, locations, drawings, pictures, descriptions). Some of them can be bought in shops in Germany, Italy, Poland, etc. (translated to appropriate language).

Here are two:

1. "Secrets of the Adriatic sea-diver's guide on wrecks of the Croatian Adriatic sea" , Jasen Mesic, Daniel Frka
ISBN 953-219-117-8 (English)
ISBN 953-219-073-2 (German)
ISBN 953-219-074-0 (Italian)
ISBN 953-219-072-4 (Croatian)

2. "Diving in Croatia", (guide for 85 locations), Ivana Ostoic
ISBN 953-98391-0-6 (Croatian)
AFAIK this book is translated to English, German, Italian, Czeck, Hungarian, etc. but I couldn't find separate ISBN numbers.

I hope ISBN numbers will help you to find the way to get these books if you're interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom