[EU] Cheap night dive torch in Europe / UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checkout87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Long time lurker here :). I have a question about night dive torches.

The liveaboard that I'm about to go on doesn't rent out torches so I have to bring my own (+ backup). This is only for night dives (and maybe lighting-up dark areas during day dives but that's a secondary concern). I do not do any video / filimg and am keen to stay on budget as I am buying a lot of gear at the moment.

Does anybody has good recommendations for a night dive torch around the £150 ($200) mark?

I have read a lot of threads here but most are US and with shipping + taxes it makes these uncompetitive.

Thank you.

Welcome to SB.
Personally I have never spend big money for torches. There are so many Chinese ones around that to me it doesn't worth it. I currently use this one:
I took the 21700 battery kit and the battery is very good too. It is supposed to be 4000mAh and should easily get you 1 hour at full power. The torch also works with the more popular 18650 batteries but haven't tried them so I don't know how long it will last.
Quality overall is quite good.
I would just buy 2 (or even 3 - why not?) of those.

Hello.My friend. I am about to recommend the S20 dive light, Is a very budget dive light and super bright
f8911e0d-94c9-4d3e-9af3-1ef80998d6b1.jpg

Here you can order from chinascuba shop

I bought several cheap and nasty Chinese torches from the likes of eBay. They all failed within a short time. That's a bit of a generalisation, but alas was true for me.

Maybe there's some better ones around nowadays. Don't be suckered in to believe they're all a bargain and wonderful.

My backup torches, clipped to my harness, are Ammonite LED1 and LED2. They're AA and C-cell batteries and work reliably after many hundreds of dives over many years. There's variants of them with rechargable batteries -- think they're Stingray.

The Apeks torches are overpriced. They look like they bought out the rights from Exposure who made a few small diving torches.

I am a huge advocate for the @XTAR D26 Whale, the "1100 lumen" version.

I own three and they are pretty cheap. I bought mine for $40, but prices has gone up a bit since.
They have been rock solid for the last 4 years and 60 dives and the only way to break one of them was when my son took it and used it as a hammer :)

The super big advantages are that they use a magnetic switch that is lockable and that they use 26650 batteries and not 18650, which is the norm.
I can easily do two full dives with the light on max the entire time without it running out of batteries and I charged it every night on a liveaboard, so I could get three day dives + one night dive out of a single charge.

I wholeheartidly endorse the D26 Whale ( the full black version), but I have heard that the newer D26 with the blue ring on them are a bit more flimsy.

Cheers,

Ok thanks for all the advice guys. Ended up buying some orcatorches and am pretty happy with them. Weren't cheap but feel like decent quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom