ES 150 Strobe and sync cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm contemplating the purchase of a PT-015 housing and Epoque ES-150 strobe. Website I've been looking at shows the set-up with and without the fiber optic sync.

Question is....with this set-up do I need the optical sync to fire the flash and if not, how does the flash fire. Since the website (http://www.marinecamera.com/oly_pt015.html) shows both set-ups I've got to assume it works both ways.

What is the advantage or disadvantage of one set-up over the other. Seems to me the sync is just something to come loose underwater. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Thanks

JT

jwlast, both pictures of the ES150 setup have a fibre optic cable connected. The one without is the YS90. Even if the strobe is capable of working (firing) without a fibre optic cable (like the YS90 is) you're better off using the cable - you won't have to worry about making sure the sensor on the strobe is 'looking' at the camera's flash and hence the strobe will fire reliably and you won't have to worry about someone else's flash setting off your strobe. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom